Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Capscrew "Puzzler"...

jerseyjoe

Hello All, On my 6216 I've had an interesting condition for the past month or so... The capscrew keeps coming out of the pully for some odd reason. I've had this unit for 6 years, and never once did the capscrew (Pt.# 1928038) EVER back out of it's threads. In the past month it has dropped out three times. First time I found it on the mower deck; second time found it in the grass (I didn't know it came out!) and today... I haven't found it yet this time. Each time I re-install it and crank it down real tight. Pipe wrench on the pulley shaft and socket on the bolt. The next time, I will use lock-tite; however wondered if anyone has ever experienced this or know of the reason why it does this. Thanks, Joe in Jersey

Obviously something has changed. Bent pulley, more vibration than in the past maybe? I'm not familiar with this particular application, but have you tried a new lockwasher and bolt, with proper torque spec.? A little thread locker may help as well.

When I bought my 3410, the stud that held the cone clutch on was broken, and someone welded the clutch to the shaft. Got that taken care of, and drilled and tapped the shaft for a bolt. But I always kept an allen wrench on the tractor, because that bolt never stayed tight.

Ken, Interesting... are you saying that in addition to the bolt in the center of the pulley's deep center shaft; there may be an set screw also? If so, similar to what comet66 mentioned... "something may have changed"... I haven't looked for a set screw, nor see one in the parts list. But that doesn't mean there isn't one... (Trying to reason out all possibilities). Thanks, Joe

I would suggest that you completely remove the pulley and check the shaft and the key. You may find a worn key and a wallowed out keyway. When this happens the pulley will not stay tight.

Hi, Are you talking about the pulley on the mower deck that uses the 4+" or so long bolt and stands up about 3 1/2" above the arbor? If so, the pulley has run loose and the internal splines on the pulley are worn and the face that contacts the upper grass shield are worn on the outer edge. It is not uncommon for this bolt to break off flush in end of the arbor shaft. When they get loose for the first time for what ever reason, the pulley being up about 3 plus inches from the splines, tends to "wallow" out the splines and the the outer edge of the face that clamps the dust shield to the upper bearing hub, tends to wear from the pulley wobbling as it turns. if this is your problem, only replacing the pulley and possibly the arbor shaft is the only solution. IT ALSO MUST HAVE THE THICK WASHER ON TOP, REGULAR WASHERS ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT WORK. They can't handle the required clamping force. If this is not the pulley you are talking about, I don't know. I only chose this one because we have seen this happen occasionally on these RH discharge decks. Al Eden

Hello Al, Thanks for the information, however it's not the mower deck. I will move on the advice Rod offers, since it could be a worn keyway causing some "unseen" vibrations thus rendering too much vibration on the 7/16" bolt. Much appreciated. Joe

Hi, If it is on the engine pulley, look on the outside of the hub, a large percentage of them just have an indent stamped in the side for a key. This is easily sheared (much easier then a key)if you hit something with the mower. It is no stronger than if you just bent 2 tabs in on the hub of the pulley. You can look at the outside and see if it is sheared. Al Eden