Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

is 14Hp enough? 48" deck...

mike_sdak

I have a recently-acquired 140 JD, K321 Kohler 14 Hp with a 48" mower deck. I recently cleaned and reinstalled the fixed-jet Walbro carburetor, and it seems to run fine at idle and high speed. I mowed grass with the 48" deck last night. It seemed to be lugging down pretty good at a slower pace than my 917 (very very tired kt 17) would have been comfortable mowing. It's subjective - I don't have a tach or speedo on either unit, but I think it should have a bit more power than that. The engine seems to run fine, and doesn't appear to use oil. Now, I replaced the air cleaner, and I plan to clean and service the crankcase breather, and maybe pull the head (last resort) and clean the combustion deposits. Also, the walbro carb has a sloppy throttle shaft - could this cause a lack of power at top end? If so, can it be re-bushed like a Kohler Carb? Thanks in advance,

What were you cutting? Years ago, I had an AC 710 with a 48" deck (special order). It handled it fine in regular mowing-----it would cut at speeds as fast as I wanted to ride it. Mowing tall weeds, however, I did have to slow down. I wonder if your governor is kicking in as good as it should. Also, your full load jet may need some adjusting-----which is a little hard to do without having a load on it while adjusting. Try turning the screw a 1/4 turn out and see if it runs better when mowing. If it does, keep turning it another 1/8 turn at a time until it starts running worse. If a 1/4 more open doesn't help, try a 1/4 turn in.

Mark, Thanks for the reply. I was cutting lawn grass, pretty thick and maybe 5" tall. The only problem is, with this Walbro, there is no high speed needle, like on a Kohler Carb - only a idle needle and idle speed screw. Could it be that I am running lean due to the throttle shaft slop? How much slop is too much? Also, the 140 is a hydro, so I suppose that eats some of the Hp.

My Homelite T-12 with 12HP Briggs, Vickers hydro, and 48" deck mows fine in any grass I've cut. Sometimes in very tall damp grass (6" plus) I have had to slow down some. But with a toilet engine in a Deere, you're asking the wrong folks.

My AC 312H w/ Vickers Hydro and 48" deck and 12Hp Kohler throws grass like crazy... My 310 variable and the walbro fixed jet and 10Hp Kohler was fussy last spring... I readjusted the carb and monkeyed around with the governor... and ran it ... it improved and handles the grass pretty well... but I will say it is a much slower transmission than the hydro. I also run the blue marine Sta-bil year round.. this may help cleaning out the carb some... I do it to avoid trouble with the new EtOH gas.

Tough crowd, here... I do frequent the Deere board, but I think the knowledge of small engines and mowers (and fixing stuff in general) is greater per capita, here.

my 7012 would own thick and tall grass with the 48in deck...i think it has something to do with the deere not have a deep enough deck to get rid of the grass faster...my dad has a 6216 with the more shallow style deck on it and has a 19horse twin on it and i can mow at the zame pace he does and spread it better because of the deck design i think...:D

quote:
Originally posted by mike_sdak
Mark, Thanks for the reply. I was cutting lawn grass, pretty thick and maybe 5" tall. The only problem is, with this Walbro, there is no high speed needle, like on a Kohler Carb - only a idle needle and idle speed screw. Could it be that I am running lean due to the throttle shaft slop? How much slop is too much? Also, the 140 is a hydro, so I suppose that eats some of the Hp.
A well fertilized lawn at 5" can be a load, I suppose. Slop between the throttle shaft and its bore could also be an issue, but more likely under lighter loads. I'm not familiar with the Walboro carb anymore (had one on a 1972 snowmobile once upon a time), but maybe it has some varnish build-up in the main metering port. A good cleaning and rebuild sure couldn't hurt anything and it's not too hard or expensive to do.

Most of the fixed jet carbs on the later engines run a little too lean. It was done for emissions. I have opened the main jet up about .001 on a couple of them and they run much better. The main jet is usually in the plug at the bottom which holds the fuel bowl on. By the way, I only have a 10 Hp engine on my 716H and drive a 48 inch mower and vacuum with it.

I hate walbro carbs on Kohlers, so much so I got a new one on the shelf I took off and replaced with a decent used Kohler one with high and low adjusters. I have used 14 HP Kohlers paired to 48 " decks for years and never had a problem with power.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Most of the fixed jet carbs on the later engines run a little too lean. It was done for emissions. I have opened the main jet up about .001 on a couple of them and they run much better. The main jet is usually in the plug at the bottom which holds the fuel bowl on. By the way, I only have a 10 Hp engine on my 716H and drive a 48 inch mower and vacuum with it.
Before trying to drill out the jet (very tricky process), you may want to run a bunch of Sea Foam through the carb before taking it apart. That might remove varnish and improve the running without doing any mechanical work. Another trick for opening up a jet (or at least cleaning it) is to go to a welding store and get a set of torch tip cleaners.

Hey thanks for all the replies. I spoke too soon about it running well. Last night I mowed, and it started to sputter soon after starting. I thought I would take the carb off for the 3rd time and do another (partial) cleaning and compressed air treatment. I wound up doing just what Mark suggested - sloshed some sea foam in the carb, and mixed 4 oz, plus or minus, in the fuel (pretty rich). It ran pretty strong then as the mowing progressed. So far, so good....

I recommended possibly opening up the main jet because the very first post in this topic said that the carburetor had been "cleaned". If it was already clean then seafoam would or any other cleaner would not help. I was only going on the information that was given. Sorry I tried to help. Next time I will leave it up to the amateurs.

Sorry for the confusion, Rod- I am the foremost of the amateurs. I will keep your tip in mind, who knows how long my partial carb job will last.

• 10 months later...
Update--- I used this 140 JD with K321 14 Hp quite a bit this winter for blowing snow. The real issue with this motor was that the top end was not 3600 RPM, maybe more like 2000-2500. I bought a briggs vibra-tach, and tuned her up for 3600 RPM. Also adjusted the governor sensitivity slightly. Blew snow very well, like a new tractor. I would guess the mower deck shouldn't be much of a load, now. Another lesson in my long education on these engines...

hey mike, i had a couple 140h3's and they would cut grass, but not even close to as good as the simplicities...but they are a heckofa little tractor though, even if they are green!!!:D

Mine is an H1. It is very good for blowing snow. I agree about the mower deck cut quality, but it does have the advantage of cutting much higher, if you like. Also, the turning is a bit easier/shorter than the 917....It's nice having both, though..