Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dirt Plow – Need Farmers' Help

TimE

Dutch,I don't believe the Simplicity plow was canted as yours are.There is a great picture of a factory plow in the 1962 Simplicity section of Simple trACtors,also line drawings of the hitch in "Parts and Manuals".Good Luck.

I salvaged 2 dirt plows from the scrap heap, and I’m going to adapt one to fit my tractor. I don’t know anything about dirt plows, and need some advice. The first plow is an old Brinly (see top photo). I thought the hitch got bent at sometime (see center photo), but maybe not. The other plow is a Sears set up for a category “0” 3 point hitch. The hitch is factory made to mount “lop-sided” (see bottom photo). I now assume dirt plows are made to mount “lop-sided” to aid in breaking ground, or because one wheel may be in a furrow. Am I correct..? Do Simplicity factory plows mount “lop-sided”..? Any tips about adjusting and using plows you old time gardeners / farmers could share with a “city-boy” would be appreciated. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/plow-sequence.jpg

Glad to here about your DC, I have a DC-4 and my grandfather farms with all old cases, Dutch, like stated above that is true, you will find plows made for different things, good luck!!-BradW

Dutch, the lop-sided mount is to keep the plow level when your tire is in the furrow. I believe these one bottom plows have to mount off center also. I can't give you any clue on adjustments. All the hours of my younger years pullin 3--14's with a DC Case all I ever had to was pull the trip rope and listen to that ole 4 banger pull, loved to plow under sweet clover. I see you Love projects, good luck MPH

Just talked to my bro in Co whos been plowing with these little tracs since he got his first Bolens in the 70's, he said the adjustment varys your pitch on the moboard and should be set so your furrow is cutting flat from leading tip to trailing end. biggest problem is in hard dirt, Co clay=concete, is the cutter disc keeps the plow from wanting to go down..have fun MPH

I made a hitch and mounted the Brinly on my 7010. This topic is continued in thread #3932. Thanks........