Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ac.d17iv

electrical problem

ac.d17iv
My AC 712H starts right up. After it runs for about 2 minutes, the engine bogs down and kills. When I try to restart it, I turn the key and nothing at all (no juice to the starter or anything). After it sits for a few minutes, I turn the key and it starts right up, but dies again after running for a couple minutes. I replaced the battery cables (they were original) because they were rough and the battery is new. I cleaned the connections on the ignition the best I could. Could the ignition be going bad and overheating causing this problem? What about the solenoid? Thanks for any help.

BMinor8806
Check the ammeter and circuit breaker wiring connections. These wires use the push-on type connector and can work loose over time. Same thing happened to my 916H with the tiller.

3314WV
it sounds like ignition to me.....not an expert but i had a similar problem on my 3314 due to condensation in the points box. It would start right up then after warm up would start missing really bad and die. :)

Dadsy98
Yep. I'd replace the ignition switch, or at least pull the connector and clean the contacts on the switch and connector. Remember, the solenoid is only there to start the engine. after that it does nothing :)

ac.d17iv
I wanted to provide an update in case others experience this problem. I removed my circuit breaker and connected the two wires raw. The problem goes away, so I have a bad breaker that was over heating and killing the engine.