Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Whats the trick?

RUMBLEFISH

I now have 2 42 decks and one 48 deck and the height adjuster handles on all of them are frozen up solid. Is this a common thing and what can I do to free them up without breaking them? Any tricks would be a big help.

If you can remove the assemblies from the deck, a good soaking overnight in waste oil usually frees up rusted parts. Or, a little heat would help too.

Use Kroil (not PB Blaster) and in a few days they shoud free up without removing them from the deck. Kroil is not cheap and cheap is not good, use Kroil!

pretty common problem. Dissimilar metal issue in the threads. Castle chemical makes a penetrant called Thrust that is thick bodied and is good for staying where you spray it. I would try soaking it overnight and possibly use a little heat the next day if necessary. Once freed up you might try "never seize" on the threads when you reinstall:).

I have a related question about these adjusters. Are they supposed to be on the inboard side of the bale frame, or outboard side. I have see them shown both ways in Simplicity literature. I am freeing up my adjusters now. When I reassemble I want to put them in the right place. They were assembled on the outboard side.

There are jam nuts on the adjusters. After they are adjusted, you tighten the nut and they stay in the same place even if they get bumped. Make sure you loosen the nut before you try to adjust them and then tighten the nuts when you are done. Decks set up with the adjusters on the outboard side of the bail assembly are set up for RBT's and should have a larger drive pulley on the top of the center spindle because the cone clutch pulley is larger in diameter than the pulley on FDT's.

Rumblefish, It is a common problem... and all "advisors" are correct; soak it and it will work. Once working it is a piece of cake to move them. Get it lubed, and cleaned best you can. Good Luck, Joe in Jersey