Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 314D?

THEPATRIOT

After being out of my hobby's for nearly a year,i'm getting back into them.I just picked up an AC model 314D with electric lift/pto and a mower deck.I've always thought they were kind of odd looking,but liked them.I've only seen pics of this style tractor,so when this one came up i made a trade for it.What can you guy's tell me about them???

They are awesome!! the manual transmission is great... and of course variable... I snowblow big driveways and till with my 310.. plenty of power... the 12's have plenty of power as well, I imagine the 14 is awesome... thats the biggest engine on the 300 series... did you get the hubcaps with it... the D originally came with them... I think you'll like it!! I like all mine!!

I think the hubcaps are gone!It's getting delivered Saturday,i can't wait to play with it.Did they not make many of these???This is the only one i've seen in person!

http://simpletractors.com/Main/history.htm a good article outlining the Allis/Simplicity history... 300's only made in 1971-72 I think.

Thanks for the link!How can i determine the year of mine? EDIT-Tractor just got dropped off,pics in the show & tell section!

The production date is stamped into the front (engine side) of the gas tank. towards the bottom..... not sure if it is the date of the tractor , or the date of just the tank.....

Hi all While on the topic of the Allis 314's Iam restoring one and the deck was in pieces when I got it. The shell was solid enough to give years of service tho I did have to MIG two cracks behind the front attachment brackets. Iam ready to assemble it now and have a fair idea where most of the brackets and rods belong but some are a mystery. Could someone post a photo of what the top of this deck is supposed to look like or is there an exploded view somewhere on the forum? Thanks in advance for any help!! Dick

If i have time tomorrow i'll take some pics for you.PM me your email add. and i'll send them to you.

sammifish,Yes! Those two "L" shaped brackets on the rear face are what I was not sure of. Also,on the topside of my deck there are two brackets with a sort of semi-circular cut-out area which fit against the roller adjustment bar. Marks on the bar indicate these brackets fit snugly against the bar. I dont see these brackets on your deck but I see carriage bolts in the holes for attaching these brackets,these holes also are used to fasten the anti-scalp roller underneath. There is a third similar bracket, a little smaller,which I still have no idea where it goes. I see the weld on your deck is almost the same as I had to apply to mine.....must be a weak/stress area. Anyhow, I thank you very much for the help!! Dick

yeah, the front brackets take all the stress when you hit something... ive seen a few with cracks here... also, you see the big patch right by the front bracket... that is where they all seem to rot through first... I just now switched the deck of my busted 312 to the 416... ive got some other decks and im home now... ill go snap a picture..

and the EZ-slide on the underside of the 42" deck

you may notice the bar at the chute... it is new... I will say... this bar is NOT OPTIONAL equipment (that is if you wanna use the deck and keep it for any length of time) unless maybe if you only mow golf greens with it...

Sammiefish, your pics have got me on the right path. Yes the chute bar is essential unless a fellow wants to fold the front of the deck back. I didnt have access to an original so I fabricated a new one from 5/8" mild steel round stock. It will work i'm sure. I mow 2 3/4 acres of turf mostly gently rolling profile. I cleared my homesite in 1986 and my old 64 Landlord had the honor of landscaping and mowing the lawn which back then was at best a work in progress (professional landscaping was NOT in the budget). When I look out on the lawn today I can mainly thank that 8 HP Landlord with a front push blade, a stone rake and a smoothing drag made from bedsprings. I really dont know how tough this Allis is or if it mows like a Simplicity but I'm about to find out. I do know that Kohler engine cost me an arm & a leg to rebuild!!