Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Belly Grader Blade

Brent_Baumer

Question - are the hitches for a front dozer/snow blade and a belly blade basically the same, just turned 180 degrees from one another when mounted? I have never seen a belly blade except in pictures and in Tim Johnson's drawing and it appears to me to be the same hitch setup. The reason I ask is, I can find dozer blades around here for $100-$150, but can't seem to find a belly blade. I've also been told belly blades are 2-3 times more money if they can be found. If the hitch was the same, I'd just buy another dozer blade and cut the blade down from 15" high to 8" high and mount it "backwards". Seem easier than starting to build one from scratch. The reason I ask is, I can't ever seem to do a good job leveling dirt with the dozer blade except when dragging it. Does a great job of pushing snow but not dirt except when in reverse. I think a belly or rear blade would do better on dirt. This would be for Soveriegn/3400/7000/7100/700/900 series tractors. Brent

Brent, think you got my plan there, just haven't convinced myself to modify the snow blade I got with the B112 yet. think all we need to do is modify the lift arm on the frame. I got ahold of some ole grader blades from the hi-way department I plan of using for the blade. far as I can tell from the pic in my book its the same frame...MPH

I think you're right about the basic hitch being the same only turned 180. But, the lift lever may interfere. I’ve never seen an actual Simplicity grader blade, but from photos it appears the mower deck cable may be used to raise them and the operators feet apply down pressure. I was planning on making a hitch and using the right side lift lever to both raise the blade and apply down pressure. Never got past “thinking” about it so I don’t know if it would work. As for a blade, I’ve used a plain old I beam for years to grade dirt and stone.

Hey, been there-done that! I once took two pieces of Caterpillar wearplates(off a maintainer) that were wore down to about 4" , ground them uniform at 4", cut them to 42" lengths, welded them together so the good edges would be to the top and bottom, welded some reinfocements along the back, and drilled holes in the appropriate places. I then took a old snowblade hitch and cut the lift bracket off. Then cut the reciever off the back of the blade, welded a piece of wider flat to it and drilled holes in the flat to match the holes I drilled in the blade. Bolted it to the blade and bolted a steel tab with a hole in it for the center chain lift(older tractor) painted it and WALLAH! I had a pretty close duplicate of the original. Of course, I had a original to copy and measure from. SmilinSam

Thanks for the input. I'll probably do the same thing. I know a guy who has a snow blade from a B-series that I can probably get for a reasonable price. Just have to make sure it'll work on a newer tractor (Soveriegn style). Don't think I'll cut the actual blade down. I'll just fabricate it like Sam and use the hitch from the snow blade. Brent