Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need some sand blasting advice

AC_B-1Novice

Need some advice on sand blasting a 54”deck bottom. Should I take it completely apart or is it ok to leave the spindles and bolts etc on it. I’m just going to do the bottom as the top still has all the paint on it and is ok. Can I do it myself with a small blaster and a tank air compressor? Tell me how some of you guys did it and why. larry

If it was me I would tear it all down to prevent sand from getting to the bearings by any chance at all (but that is me) MY sand blaster works for me for what little i do

Take the spindles out. Sand gets EVERYWHERE. Also be sure to wear a good respirator when you're blasting.

If you have a media blasting company nearby, it might be easier to just strip it down and drop it off. I'd think $30-$40.

Another source is a local monument company. They use blasters to etch designs and words into the granite or whatever stone is uesd for headstones and the like. For them it's a little extra money to be made while they're doing a marker.