Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PhanDad

Need a Kohler Choke Trick

PhanDad
My old A/C 712H has a K301 toilet, er Kohler engine (only single cylinder Kohler I have). I don't use it that much, it spends most of it's time at my neighbors. The issue is the choke vibrating shut during use. The Briggs choke cable runs horizontally, but on the Kohler, it runs vertically. It approaches the carb from the bottom, so gravity does it's thing and slowly the choke closes during use. Don't have this issue with a Briggs. So what's the trick to make it stay open? Is there supposed to be a spring pulling the plate open? Pinch the cable casing? Put in a Briggs? Or ??? I think it's the original choke cable, it's not a twist to lock like on the B-110's. Thanks.

AC_B-1Novice
You could put a small kink in the steel wire of the cable to make it work harder. Loose it from the carb, extend it all the way out and bend it a little closest to the exterior covering. Pull it back into the covering then replace it. May be a last ditch effort but for what it is worth it might work.

MrSteele
I had the same problem on a Briggs..much smaller engine, with the manual choke, not on a cable. I put a spring on it several years ago, and it works every time. It used to vibrate open all the time. Why not try a spring, usually doesn't take a lot of tension. Install it, and in a few years, you will think it was made that way

sammiefish
I find this issue on more that just choke cables... happens to throttle cables too... I think my issue is that I spray lube the "inside" of the cable at the dash end and the carb end in an effort to keep them from setting up with rust... but what i create is a lack of friction in the cable itself allowing the choke to close a little and the throttle to decrease... of course this only happens on the one that is original 40 years old... the kink in the wire trick works... so would a spring i imagine.... an old sticky cable or a brand new one also works

mitten
There should be a detente that hold the choke open. You will have to remove the choke shaft and on one end there will be a ball and small spring that works against a flat spot on the shaft. check the spring, ball and shaft for wear.

MrSteele
This is being overworked, but. I also keep all my cables lubricated and do not have your problem. Your control handles are supposed to be on shafts with some sort of friction device to keep this from happening, as well. Quick fix? If you can get the controller off easily(the end at the dash) look to see how the handle fits the shaft. Some have spring washers, some have springs with fiber washers, all have a shaft through a handle, with either a nut or rivet to hold the handle on. Tighten the nut, add a locknut, or double nut to keep it in place with friction. If it is a rivet, tighten it with a hammer until you have enough friction. The handles all wear in time, whether on the choke or throttle control shaft

PhanDad
Thanks for your ideas. I think I'll go the spring route; I tried a rubber band, and it works, so a spring should do it for me. The cable is well lubricated and maybe that's some of the problem. MrSteele, this choke cable doesn't have a handle (with shaft). It's a simple "pull to choke" cable, with a knob on the end of the cable at the dash end.