Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Motor problems

toyotalineman

I have a kohler motor that will only run if you have the choke half open or half closed how ever you look at it. I have allready rebuilt the carb. The cleaning and new gaskets was all that came in a overhaul kit. Any ideas anyone thanks for the help.

Float is plactic and no hole in it. There is fuel getting by the plunger and filling the carb full, but is that what is causing the choke to have to stay half open. The main jet is not adjustable and I think that to much gas is getting in the carb or is it that not enough gas is getting in.

how is the flow from the tank to the carb...? screen in the tank restricting flow? fuel filter in need of replacement? fuel pump tired out?

Not enough gas getting into the carb. Agree..check the filter. If your Kitchen sink is on a tractor with the gas tank under the seat, does the tractor run ok until the tank is about half empty, then start running ragged, then basically not run until you fill the tank again? If that is your problem, put a new fuel pump on it. If it runs ragged all the time, start easy, put a new in-line filter on it. Still not working, check to see how much trash is in the tank and make that go away. Still not working? Remove the carb again, and while you have it off, use spray carburetor cleaner, and be extremely certain that you can spray it through all the holes in the carb. When you blow it out with air, be careful not to blow out the needle seat if it is also plastic and replaceable. Also, be certain that the replaceable seat is completely seated in its chamber. If it is not, that will do one of two things, one might be your problem, the other is that too much gas will flow into the bowl causing flooding. Enjoy the troubleshooting, you'll learn something that you might need again!

Thank you all for all the help. Every statement was very helpfull and will be remembered in the furture. Come to find out that someone at a local shop told me that if the carb was cleaned with carb cleaner and turned white after drying, that I needed a new carb because of the trash in the small areas in the carb that could not be cleaned with a brush. Witch in return will cause a poor idle or poor high speed idle or both. I ordered a new carb today and hope to have back together by the next week, when it comes in. Thank you everyone for you help.