Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
osenga

no spark

osenga
got the my two 725's wired up and ready to go and hit the start on both and neither one has spark!! SO y question is since I have several coil packs sitting from kohler motors is there a wasy i can go through one of them and is so could some one tell me how to wire it in so it would work. And i have the points all cleaned up on them to and they look ok for what I can see . thanks again for looking

thedaddycat
Unless I'm mistaken the 725s all had Brigs Model 19 engines, don't know that a Kohler coil would work unless it's one of the battery ignition ones. If so you need to wire batery power through the coil and points, when points open you get a spark.... Did you check the gap between the flywheel and the magnetron coil? Try using something like a matchbook cover between them, loosen the coil mounting bolts and rotate the crank so the magnet on the flywheel pulls the coil down against the paper cover. Tighten the mounting bolts and you should have about .004 gap I think. It's been a long time since I did this so not 100% sure on the specs but that's how I've done it in the past.

John_RI
If you're looking for the 'auto ignition' conversion have a look at this over on Kent's site. http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/magneto_to_coil.htm This would be a possibility if you have a battery & charging system. Otherwise, I'd suggest you have a look under the flywheel and check the timing of the Magna-Matic magneto setup. Sometimes a simple adjustment is all that's necessary. It's a lot simpler of a system than it sounds. Good luck!