Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Home made wheel weights. Pics and a clip.

timflury

Ok guys, I'm looking for opinions..... I'm going to attempt to make some front wheel weights out of concrete for my LL. I popped some 3/8" holes in the rims and I got some long 3/8" bolts to hold the weights on. I'm making a ring out of cardboard as a form and I'm also going to line the rim with a small trash bag to act as "mold release". http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=107578&SearchTerms=weight My major concern would be the concrete drying and curing as the water won't have anywhere to leach out to aid in the curing process. I'll post pictures and keep ya'll posted on my progress. I also bought the kit to load and I'm going my inner tubes with liquid. If I get at least 50-60 lbs. on the front end of the tractor, I think it'll be easier to steer with the tiller up. Thoughts and opinions please...... And stay tuned for pictures and an update. Ok, I snapped some pictures and made a couple of videos. I can only show my "after" clip as my "before" one ran longer than 10 minutes. Too long to upload to youtube. http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?pi=0&ps=20&sf=added&sa=0&dm=1

I'll attempt a better video in a couple days when I remove the concrete form from the rims.

These are a cheap alternative as well. I have a set that I use on the front when using my 38" heavy duty tiller. Some people don`t like the concrete filled plastic weights but I prefer them over the cast iron weights. http://cgi.ebay.com/Tractor-Riding-Mower-32lb-Tire-Wheel-Weight-NEW-S-D-/360262529964?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e151f3ac

SUCCESS!!! But with my luck, my dad gum camera's battery went dead as I was shooting video of me removing the "form" from around the weights. Now as far as "prototypes" go, the weights are a little out of round, but it shouldn't matter. If I make more, I'll be more careful to keep the main body of the weight centered over the tire and rim. In fact, these might even fit my Serf's rear tires. I'll snap some pictures and have an action video made up when my battery is recharged.