Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

my orange model 19

osenga

well I change the oil today in it. and the compression test before was only in the 50 psi. after oil change and a smaller belt on the S/G it now at 90 to 95 psi. so now I will go get my carb rebuild kit . and could some one tell me the the best way to know on these motors to know when you have enough oil in it since no dip stick.

the oil that was in it was 30 years old and really thick . and the belt that was on the S/G was really lose go a nice snug belt on it to with only about 1/2 inch play when i pull up on it now . and turns the motor faster now to so thats where I get my extra compression

I took a year long night class at a community college that was marine mechanic training. The instructors repeated over and over that a compression test only counts on an engine that has been started and warmed up. We would awaken these dead engines that people would donate that had been sitting for years. You frequently get very low compression on all cylinders initially on the old, cold engine. Get some spark and fuel happening to where the engine will fire up on at least some cylinders and take another compression check. Sometimes compression is now good on all cylinders, although with donated engines often at least one cylinder has no compression because the rings are gone and the piston's been swapping metal with the cylinder.