Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

S.A.C.K. (Bruiser)

SACK

Hi. Second posting here.. I love anything tough and robust. Hence, my free Simplicity Soveriegn 18 hydro that had a bad motor. I got a free 27hp Kawasaki from work when I worked there (JD dealer) from two junk motors. I had to convert it to carb, as it was originally a fuelie motor. It's a liquid cooled engine. I used a Honda Goldwing radiator in it. IT'S A BEAST, but I have broken something every time I've used it so far. Maybe I just need to wear a Simplicity hat instead of a Deere hat when mowing.... ^ Without further ado, meet Bruiser... [IMG]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee82/pcknscrnnamessux/Bruiser-1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee82/pcknscrnnamessux/mower.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee82/pcknscrnnamessux/mower3.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee82/pcknscrnnamessux/mower4.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee82/pcknscrnnamessux/mower5.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee82/pcknscrnnamessux/mower6.jpg[/IMG] I smoked the PTO clutch in 30" tall grass because the chute plugged up. Repaired via the leather belt method, as learned here. Thanks!!! It really does work.. Today, I hit a root, and popped the secondary deck belt. I finished the yard on the center blade.

Oh, the S.A.C.K. refers to sack, and Simplicity Allis Chalmers Kawasaki... It has Allis parts mixed in. The deck and steering wheel. The Allis 916 was free too, with a bad gearbox and engine. I love this tractor!!!! P.S. whatever admin deleted the pics, I know you are just doing your job. I was here, and it let me. Glitchy machines.... Give me 30 days...

There is a reason why your reply box dose not have a paper clip or camera Icon. It is because you are not allowed to upload pictures or post pictures. You manualy inserted the brackets to post pictures

Some hubcaps I had on eBay sold tonight, so as soon as I get paid, you can guess where I'm coming first... P.S. All I did was copy and paste an image code from photobucket. The forum let me. I didn't know I was breaking the rules. The purists already hate me for installing a Kaw motor.. My next project is to use the hardware from the other deck to install a 54" deere deck, and spin it the other direction............ It takes a long time to mow 3 acres. Phew.. Is it hot in here? No. I'm just getting the fever too...

Looks like you're pretty handy at fitting things together and can use the "blue wrench" (flame) to adjust where needed. All that extra power may be overloading the belts, or just their age may be showing. Hope it holds together for years of fun. The price was right too!

I found this kind of interesting as I'm installing a 2 cylinder Kubota diesel in a BolensOO Duratrac gt 2000. I am using the same radiator. My engine is 620cc and I'm using the 1100cc radiator so I hope I have enough cooling. It's in the shop right now have larger fittings put on it as this is a thermal siphon cooling system. Glad your project turned out good for you. I'm hoping for the same results. Welcome here. Great people and tons of information. They have been a big help with my Simplicity, Allis tractor projects.

The hottest it's ran has been 220, but hovers between 190-210 most of the time. I anticipated it running hot, so I have Evans NPG+ waterless coolant in it. Supposedly the stuff remains liquid at the water jacket. Its still a little scary to watch the temp get up there like that though. Thank you all. The leather belt repair on the PTO cone is still holding up to the extra power.

Your running 120cc more than me so hopefully I will be OK. Just started mounting it yesterday. I have to find a location for the fan and temp. gauge sending units. Take care.

• 2 weeks later...
So far, this is the progress of the deere deck on Bruiser. I cut off all the wheel brackets. (Flap wheels are great for smoothing out welds) It appears that I need to cut my deere primary to secondary idler pulley and weld it to the center spindle's pulley (yes, it gives me room to stick a 1 1/8" socket through it, even if I need a different belt). It also appears that I need to graft the rear of my rotten deck to the deere deck, so I have a good base to attach the Simplicity bracketry to... [IMG]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee82/pcknscrnnamessux/deck.jpg[/IMG] If it turns out to be a total fail, I still have my Allis deck. If it works great, it will remain yellow until the snow falls again. Then the Simplicity orange or Chrysler Hemi Orange will appear on the mower and deck...... The mower will be re-oranged this winter, either way. The right spindle mount always bends on these stupid deere decks... Mine is bent.. So is a customer's.. So I have to build a tool to bolt to the deck to straighten the mount... If this works, it'll become S.A.C.K.'D... Simplicity, Allis Chalmers, Kawasaki, Deere. LOL! Burr, it's a cold night in Illinois... I'm also glad you all were asleep through my many edits.

Buy a bigger tractor. Allis Chalmers & deere dont mix on this website.If you want to talk green please go to another website.To cob up a tractor with a john deere deck is wrong when Simplicity makes one of the best decks out there.Buy a leagacy if you want a biiger deck.You can have 60 inches with it.

Cut the guy some slack will you. He is kind enough to come here and share his project and I don't think he needs a slap in the face for doing that. I'm putting a Kubota diesel into a Bolens GT 2000 and I just might put a Simplicity deck under it because I like the way my 7117 cuts. I sure hope you don't ban me from the forum for doing that. Some of us enjoy building the tractor of our dreams while others who are incapable throw stones at us for doing it.

Welcome to the club Scott! Don't worry about the critics. When I can get my hands on one I want to stuff a two cylinder Honda inline water cooled into a 3400 series. Remember--use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without. Keep us posted on future projects!

quote:
Originally posted by SACK
So far, this is the progress of the deere deck on Bruiser. I cut off all the wheel brackets. (Flap wheels are great for smoothing out welds) It appears that I need to cut my deere primary to secondary idler pulley and weld it to the center spindle's pulley (yes, it gives me room to stick a 1 1/8" socket through it, even if I need a different belt). It also appears that I need to graft the rear of my rotten deck to the deere deck, so I have a good base to attach the Simplicity bracketry to... [IMG]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee82/pcknscrnnamessux/deck.jpg[/IMG] If it turns out to be a total fail, I still have my Allis deck. If it works great, it will remain yellow until the snow falls again. Then the Simplicity orange or Chrysler Hemi Orange will appear on the mower and deck...... The mower will be re-oranged this winter, either way. The right spindle mount always bends on these stupid deere decks... Mine is bent.. So is a customer's.. So I have to build a tool to bolt to the deck to straighten the mount... If this works, it'll become S.A.C.K.'D... Simplicity, Allis Chalmers, Kawasaki, Deere. LOL! Burr, it's a cold night in Illinois... I'm also glad you all were asleep through my many edits.
Is the spindle bent or the sheet metal? If it is a sheet metal maybe you can improve the deck by adding a layer of metal in that area? You have good energy / motivation thanks for sharing.

When posting pictures please resize to 640 x 480 pixel size before posting the larger format makes it hard to read posts. Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by SACK
The hottest it's ran has been 220, but hovers between 190-210 most of the time. I anticipated it running hot, so I have Evans NPG+ waterless coolant in it. Supposedly the stuff remains liquid at the water jacket. Its still a little scary to watch the temp get up there like that though. Thank you all. The leather belt repair on the PTO cone is still holding up to the extra power.
Chances are you have a thermostat, and it may be restricted or bound.

I dont care what you guys put in your tractors as far as any engine you want. I dont pay a membership to hear about john deere. I go to weekendfreedom for that.So as far as my comment,i dont understand people wanting to take a perfect tractor& putting a mower deck on from a john deere. That is my point.It dont matter what website i get on people want to show their green.

It seems that a simpler solution for a 60" cut is to adapt a Sunstar deck. The Deere deck looks to rotate the wrong way?? Twisting the belt solves the rotation, but I suspect the belt won't last long with the increased load of a 60" deck and twisted. I know my Sovereign with a 22 HP Command really heats up the deck drive belt when I'm in tall/wet grass.

Here is a link to a club member adapting his Sovereign type tractor to accept a 60" deck from a Sunstar. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=111334 I'd like to try that someday.

I already have most all the parts. No one complained about my installing a Deere engine. But the deck is a different story... You come and mow my three acres...

Hey SACK, I am a keep it true guy but ANYTHING is better than the scrap yard. I had a 1966 Chev pickup for years. It was old and tired. the tranny finally gave out on it and so i had to let her go. She almost when to the scrap yard when a little mexican man that spoke almost no english walked up to me with a hundred dollar bill in his hand and he took it home. I see the truck once in awhile, lowered, fancy wheels, and half a**ed painted and shake my head every time. but i always think "atleast its still on the road" hauling lawnmowers no less... pitty, they are honda's. So for us die hard bleeding orange guys, we cant save em all so let someone else have some fun:p