Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Swap

dodgeman

I have a Allis Chalmers 416 garden tractor with the shuttle drive. I`m thinking about swapping the 16 hp for a 28 hp Onan engine. Could I do this without any problems? Any information will be appreciated.

I put a 20hp cammand in one of mine and it runs to hot and had to knoch the frame to get it in. WELCOME TO THE SITE

Onan is no longer in business. They may have been bought out by now, but all the original parts cost you through the nose.. $175 for a simple carb kit???? (at deere)

I have an Onan on a welding machine. great engine. A new carb was cheaper than the kit for it last year. Oil filter was around $25 at the Onan parts store, Wix filter only around $8. Don't even think about the fuel pump! If yours 'leaks down' between uses, and the pump will not pull enough fuel up without wearing the starter out in the process, I have a great fix for it, instead of buying a new pump right off the bat. Any of you Onan users want to know it, send me a PM

The 28hp Onan is HUGE and Heavy. Better consider power steering with the swap. I can't picture how to make that engine fit without a lot of cutting away of the existing frame.