Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rear axle seals

OrangeMetalGuy

I am sick of leaking rear axle seals... replaced the axle tube on the 716H and sure enough, it's leaking... the right side, naturally. Left side never leaks. As much as I hate too I'm gonna have to pull it apart - again. I always use heavy plastic on the shaft end as I slide the seal over. I will have to see what happened to the new one I just put in.

I have a left side leaking on my 3314V but i keep putting it off cause that is one area i have no experience on. Not sure what i need to know. Upon loosening the set screws, should the tube slide off to access the seal ?

Make sure that you do not have too much gear lube in the transaxle. If you have the street ell fill pipe, and you have it filled to the top of the street ell, you have too much oil in the transaxle. Take off the street ell and let the oil drain out to the level of the opening. This will probably solve your axle leak.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is a bushing in the housing right behind the seal. If they're worn this could cause a leak.

Mike, isn't the level supposed to be about halfway up the fill tube (if I remember the book right)? Before I replaced the axle tube and seals, it would drip all over... when it got low you could tell because it would run away (slightly) downhill and surge. It is leaking at the bottom of the seal where it meets the tube (I have cleaned it well and determined the exact spot for the lead using q-tips - it's not where the seal meets the transaxle. I guess I could try tapping the seal in place again (using my PVC pipe seal tapper) and see if maybe it's not quite fully seated in the housing.

OH MY!!! Sorry to hear it That stinks!!! Does anyone use any kind of sealer on the seal seat? Seems like it shouldnt be necessary... but ??? Would using gasket sealer cause the seal to not seat properly or not get all the way in? Orange, how did you remove the original seal... (and how did the seat look ... was it scored at all from a screwdriver used to pry the seal out?)

I pry them out from the inside (or at least I did this one, since I had the trans apart). And any way, it's leaking where the seal meets the axle, not where the seal meets the trans. I am going to try to reseat it a little tonight when I get home to make sure it's in all the way.

It could be that the shaft is worn enough that even a new seal will not seal properly. I don't know if you can get a slightly different size seal that would work or if you would need to replace the shaft or just live with it.

Scott, sorry for the wrong info, I now see you are talking about a 716H (I assume with a Sundstand Hydro). Here is some things to check..., Vent on left side is not plugged (raise pressure in transaxle) Foam, make sure you are not foaming the hydro fluid (this will raise the level of the fluid in the transaxle). Usually you can tell if you have air in the system by the louder whining of the hydro.

Are you sure there isn't something wrong with the counter-bore for the seal itself in the axel housing? Maybe a deep burr or score from someone else who tried removing the seal before you (or a factory defect)? If you totally de-grease and solvent clean the area, you should be able to see if it is weeping from the actual rubber lip area or from the outside of the seal (maybe use a magnifying glass)?? Just a thought, Tom (PK)