Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Variable drive rear-end question

actrac

I have a variable drive rear-end out of a B100 or B200 series AC tractor. A fellow needs one for his Soverign/7016 machine, will minw ork for him?? Thanks,ACTRAC/Chris/CT

Yes, if he has a vari-drive now, othewise he will need everything from the BGB back to make the conversion.

As I recall the BGB and tranny are the same for a regular three speed and the variable, it's just the pulleys, belt and linkage to change the effective diameters that make it a variable speed drive. You still have three gears but can change speed up or down while in any given gear. My 7116 is a hydro so I can't just go look at it and give you details.

There was never a 7016 with the "variable" transmission. Are you swapping the whole rear along with BGB or just the rear axle/trans? The B-series bevel gear box is different.

The pulley shaft is 2 - 3 inches longer on the 3 speed rearends out of a variable speed then a standard 3 speed. The 7016 6 speed have a shorter pulley shaft like used in a straight 3 speed like in a B 10. The 7016 6 speed has a threaded pulley shaft and is keyed for a hub and the older style used a keyed shaft with a set screw in the pulley. Not sure about the pulley shafts in the 3 speeds but the BGB shafts are not hardened. I have been thanking about taking a good variable speed rearend that I have and threading it down to the distance needed to put a pulley set up that I have from a 6 speed on the variable speed rearend. Then just cut off the excess pulley shaft when I am finished. From what I have looked at so far it looks doable. Only thing holding me up is this 10 pound weight restriction I have from this back surgery I had done. May never get to it I prefer hydros. The BGB`s are different but there should be one in the 7016.

So I have a lead on a vari-drive setup for my LL 2110. It seems that you're telling me that adding one would not work because the transaxle input shaft would be too short,,,, yes??

If your 2110 doesn`t have a vaiable speed now and you are only buying pulleys then yes the inputshaft on transmision is to short as well as driven shaft on the BGB.

Thanks Ray, you saved me $100.00,,,,,, for now. It would be nice to have one of these, but I would be better off buying a complete tractor.