Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Must be getting old...

thedaddycat

I thought I had made a post about this but can't seem to find it now... either I only typed it out and never posted it, it got deleted, or I'm just getting old. Maybe I just "previewed" it but never posted it, not really sure. Anyhow..... I have Kent's old Big Ten that's shown in the link, and the loader too. I've offered it to him for first refusal and he's declined, so now I have to figure out what to do next. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=47004&SearchTerms=Big,Ten,loader Though I know I'd most likely get more for it parted out it would be such a shame to undo all his work. So I'm asking for your opinions guys. What would you do? What would a fair and reasonable price be for the whole tractor vs. the components? It's mostly the same except the Johny Bucket is gone and it has different tires. Still has hydro lift, Hi-Low, lights, tool box, horn, right hand lift bracket, etc. I'd hate to eBay or sell it to someone who's just going to part it out, I could do that myself.

If it were me, I think I would strip the frills off and sell them separately. If the tractor with loader has a weight box on the back, I'd seriously consider removing the hydro lift also. Just my opinion/estimation of prices. Tractor with loader - $1200-$1500 {depending on tires & weights} Hydro lift - $275 Hi-Lo - $150 Right hand lift - $100 Lights - $100

Sell the tractor as it is.Why part something out just to make more money, when Kent went to all the work to make it look like it does now.

why dont you sell it to some one who is going to enjoy it. like you @ kent did all those years. if you strip it all the workmanship between you and kent are gone. sell it like he did to some one who will enjoy it!! interview them over the phone, get a feel for them,

You see the dilema I face. It is worth more as components than as a whole tractor, but how can you put a price tag on the history and workmanship of the man who started this whole thing. Interview prospective buyers? I'm not comfortable with that. Anyone can be fooled and anyone can put on a front to fool someone else. In the end I would have to be the one making a judgement about someone else being "worthy" of buying it, and who am I to judge anyone else as worthy or not... Were it not for Kent starting Simple trACtors I don't know if I'd have ever gotten into the hobby. I started out buying a 3310V from a friend and at one time had over 20 tractors I think. Again, must be getting old as I'm having a hard time recalling.... lol

I dont hold much to nostalgia. If you kill one tractor you might save a half dozen more that might otherwise have bit the dust and got scrapped. That and its a whole lot easier to move parts around the country than whole tractors, regardless of the increases money factor. On another note, that Red Landlord & loader looks mighty familiar:D Moved alot of wood chips with that one;)

quote:
You see the dilema I face. It is worth more as components than as a whole tractor, but how can you put a price tag on the history and workmanship of the man who started this whole thing. Interview prospective buyers? I'm not comfortable with that. Anyone can be fooled and anyone can put on a front to fool someone else. In the end I would have to be the one making a judgement about someone else being "worthy" of buying it, and who am I to judge anyone else as worthy or not...
Kirk, earlier, you said it's "just stuff". I guess not, eh?;)

Ken, It is just stuff. Under the right circumstances I wouldn't have a problem giving any or all of it away. To be fair, you are quoting me out of context. Marty commented: "------Wife, mother-in-law, and 3 teenage daughters.------- Never knew you to do anyone that bad here on the site Kirk. Oh well, gotta love those you have, paint the loader pink, maybe they'll like it. Sure would like to take that off your Scrap pile for you. Remember you 'farming" stuff out, hope those you got things you want back will step up." I replied: "Marty, in the end it's just "stuff" and if you take the eternal view it's really of no consequence. Tell you what, you want the loader and nobody else steps up I'll let you have it for free but you gotta pay the freight from CT to AK....." Just so you get an idea of what Marty and I were talking about here's a partial list of the things that were farmed out: Winter cab, mid-mount cultivator with different attachments, coring aerator, dethatcher, lawn revitalizer, leaf vac, Simplicity cart, lawn roller, Simplicity grader blade, "Dutch" grader blade with hitch, there's a bunch more too. Lots of stuff, probably a couple thousand dollars worth. Just stuff. There's also a bunch of stuff that some folks bought from me but have not paid me for yet. Maybe they will and maybe they won't, that's on them. Or things that they were supposed to part out and eBay and we'd split the money 50/50. Things like a tractor with hydro lift, 16 horse Briggs, Sweepsters(2 of them), sickle bar mower, etc. Just stuff. And if you take the eternal view it's really of no consequence........ There is one easy option to resolve this dilema, just give the Big Ten back to Kent and let him deal with it.....