Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tecumseh issue

Brettw

The neighbor's Murray is having issues. I have been hearing him crank and crank, and crank some more for the past weeks. Then suddenly it fires right off and runs fine. Seems like it starts right up again when warm. Anyway, I hear him cranking again tonight so I wander over. Seems to have fuel, seems to have spark, although I'm not sure how strong. Doesn't seem to me anyway, that it has much compression. Fairly easy to hold thumb snug in the plug hole when spinning, fairly easy to spin by hand with the plug in. If it's compression, stuck valve, etc. any suggestions? I've told him to change the oil if we get it fired again. We'll put a new plug in it for grins. But if anyone has common knowledge of these engines or any suggestions (besides burning it in the fire pit), that would be appreciated. It's a vertical shaft single cylinder 16 hp Tecumseh. Tractor appears to be about 10-15 years old. Tells me he bought it off of the previous owner of the home about 7 years ago. Has stuck about $500 in it so far. wah Told him he can borrow the orange this weekend, then he'll never go back. :)

Tecumseh, for one thing is what is wrong with it. With that little an amount of compression, that is your problem. That could be a stuck valve, true. Take the head off and check it. Likely it is time for the engine to become a boat anchor, and replace the Tecumseh with a decent engine, or simply replace the mower. A set of rings might extend the agony of replacing the whole machine, but it will only be a short extension.

I believe it is likely a stuck valve. Runs too good when it pops and starts. Doesn't smoke. So, what's the best way to unstick a valve, short of tearing the engine down? After it's running again, any good additive suggestions? To fuel? To oil?

quote:
Originally posted by MrSteele
Tecumseh, for one thing is what is wrong with it.
Have you in mind any other quality engine? Most are made in China now. And Briggs OHV don't appear any better then the Indian when I see them. Either a oil burner or a rod chucked thru the side. Who's left? Tou can almost buy a riding mower for the price of a like Kohler engine.

Uhhhhh regardless of quality, upon further inspection and helping him out, sending him to get an additive that might help free stuck valves, I was also able to explain to him that good old oil is a darned good additive too. The dipstick is there for a reason, and when you can't see any oil on it, that just might be a problem too. dzwah$ I do know that Briggs seem to run forever with horrible abuse, but to ask the same of a Tecumseh is way too much. They remind me of AMC and actually Chrysler. They just never quite got the whole engineering and quality issue up to par with the industry leaders. Anyway, added oil and did finally get it going, now we'll see with the oil and additive if his problem goes away. Kind of feel sorry for those guys that can't differentiate a screw driver from a hammer.

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
Uhhhhh regardless of quality, upon further inspection and helping him out, sending him to get an additive that might help free stuck valves, I was also able to explain to him that good old oil is a darned good additive too. The dipstick is there for a reason, and when you can't see any oil on it, that just might be a problem too. dzwah$ I do know that Briggs seem to run forever with horrible abuse, but to ask the same of a Tecumseh is way too much. They remind me of AMC and actually Chrysler. They just never quite got the whole engineering and quality issue up to par with the industry leaders. Anyway, added oil and did finally get it going, now we'll see with the oil and additive if his problem goes away. Kind of feel sorry for those guys that can't differentiate a screw driver from a hammer.
Don't know too much about these newer Tecumseh engines but the older ones were pretty good. The one thing I noticed is Tecumseh usually had a lower oil capacity than Briggs or Kohler. If oil is regularly checked they run as good and as long as any other engine. Their old cast iron units were as good as any but they did leave less room for operator error

In olden times I preferred a Tecumseh over a Briggs because a Tecumseh had a centrifugal governor, an oil pump, a better recoil starter design, a steel flywheel key, and a real carburetor. Only flaw was a tendency to pop the head gasket if one didn't keep the head bolts properly tightened. My experience and opinion. :)

In the old days, the Tecumseh was a Clinton, made by the Tecumseh company. You could not wear a Clinton out, the cast iron ones, anyway. I have knurled pistons, shimmed rings when a new piston was no longer available, but that was then. Even now, a Tecumseh is a decent engine, but I have no respect for the company simply because their carburetor designer must have quit about 50 years ago, and they continue to use the same basic design of a useless carburetor. That too, is an opinion. I am in the process right now of trying to resurrect a cast iron 5 HP Clinton for a Yazoo, and, the only real trouble I am having is the carb. As for the stuck valve, enough oil should keep it free as it is running. If it is stuck and will not run, try removing the muffler and use your favorite penetrating oil on the stem, then turn the engine over to loosen it. Do the same for the intake valve, only remove the carb to get to it. If that won't do it, remove the head so you can get to the valve heads, shoot oil on the stem and twist the valve, push it back down. Several repetitions of this after you turn the engine over a few times should solve the issue, if he keeps enough oil in it. Add a little Marvel Mystery oil or Rislone to the gas now and then, or simply add a bit of engine oil to the gas from time to time until the problem is no more. It will smoke a bit.

Brett, If this is a 16HP vertical, I'd would assume it is OHV? That being said (along with the thumb over the spark plug hole "test"), why not do the simple things first like checking the valve clearances? They tend to diminish as the valves wear into the seats. Have you tried starting fluid (ether) under this hard start condition? Does the choke fully close? I'd really doubt there is something seriously wrong internally with the motor based on your description that is runs well once started. BTW, Joe, the Tecumseh fully adjustable float carbs they used from the early '60's till the mid 80's were great; as long as you didn't let them gum up due to poor maintenance or leaving gas in the tank/carb for 5 years. I think Tecumseh paid Walbro some royalties to design their own carb based on their LME model. Tom (PK).

It is an overhead valve, but before I start helping by tearing the thing down, I'm going to see how it works with some oil in it and some additive. Cheap easy route first! I will say I had a minbike as a kid with a Tecumseh on it and it never did die. We probably has a million miles on that thing before we sold it. Wore out and replaced, sprockets, clutches, tires, but not the engine. The carb really did seem to be the shortcoming of these engines. That being said I believe we have a Tecumseh in the mini snow "blower" and it does seem to keep on running. Thanks all for the input.

Lauson/Tecumseh and Clinton never crossed paths with each other, they were separate companies. http://www.clintonengines.com/