Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Atom Module upgrade

dentwizz

I just converted my 23D to Atom Module and it runs well at speed. The problem is it consumes almost a whole batter charge to start. The strange thing is it sometimes lights right off and other times it goes Chug chug POP chug chug chug for minutes at a time. The gap on the plug is .18 or so and clean and the ground is clean on the module. What am I missing? Resistor plug or not?

unless there is a element i am missing, spark gap should be 30 thousands of an inch, and check your mixture settings and all connections. i will ponder see what else i can come up with.

I set the gap to .030 originally which ran similarly rough. The paperwork says to start at .02, so I did also with mediocre results, ending up with .018 which made it run good but hard to start. It still seems to not quite be right, but it seems to be late firing. In the paperwork it notes the gap as being a sort of a timing method. Unfortunately not much detail other than that.

i dont know what an ATOM module is but if it has a trigger on the flywheel and a detector... check the gap there...

Update: I changed the plug from a J-19 to a shorter E-3 and it fired right up. Both set to .020. Must have been a heat range issue.

I did the same thing with my B-12 and had the same results. Ran smooth and even ONCE you got it started. I gave up and polished my Points up and reinstalled and bingo, touch the starter button and it will fire right off. I will run points as long as our president will let me keep some of my earnings.

Normally I agree with that, but the plunger/bushing are both not moving at all. As is typical tweaker the desire to avoid a full teardown is strong ;) It seems alright with the different plug at least. We shall see in the long run. I may try Magnetron later if it doesn't work out.

Hi, A number (probably over 20) of years ago Briggs sent a service bulletin out concerning them and similar units. They work on flux from the coil and have no pickup sensor like the magnetron does. Briggs says the magnetron needs approximately 275 to 300 rpm to generate an adequate spark and that the units like they tested need about 450 rpm in most cases to generate an adequate spark. Also the timing is significantly changed with them. Al Eden