Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Tuffy

Freak Accident

Tuffy
See attached link to AC site regarding a freak accident involving a rear mounted tiller. We all have close calls now and then when working with machinery. Stories like this one give us a "heads up" to be more careful; and hopefully it will help us to avoid an incident like the one described and not to hurt ourselves or others. Steve[A href='http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_view.asp?mid=62535&mtop=062535&mtext1=&mtext2=&morder=&mnex']http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_view.asp?mid=62535&mtop=062535&mtext1=&mtext2=&morder=&mnex[/a]

BradW
I know what that guy means when he said, "Just now sitting here reading I began to realize how close a call that was." About 20 years ago I got under a concrete truck to check for an air leak in a brake line. I told the driver to get in and step on the brakes. He claimed he thought I meant to drive the truck and check the brakes. At the time I was more mad than scared, but I still get that sickening feeling when I remember hearing the transmission clunk into gear, seeing the driveshaft jump a little, and realizing the truck was about to move and run over me. He drove that truck about 200' with me hanging onto a crossmember screaming. I've never gotten under another vehicle unless the keys are in MY pocket.

SmilinSam
I cringe when I see people with their kids watching from a close distance or moving through an area where machinery is being run. I was walking through an area a few years ago while a guy was opereating a small forklift. Forgot that those things take a wide rear swing when turning. It so happened that the guy went to make a sharp turn as I was a few feet away . I got squeezed between a pallet of heavy material just close enough to scare the bajeebers out of me and bruise me up a litte. Just a hair closer and I would have been pressed good enough for a trip to the hospital. I take a wide berth around operating equipment now, even when just watching. Sam

Al
Hi, Good points and Good post. Last year when I was unloading a semi-load of tractors with my fork lift, I was setting one down and pushed in the clutch and something snapped and the clutch wouldn't release. A pivot pin had come out of one of the release fingers in the pressure plate and it was full time engaged. Had I been just going to the truck the truck would have had to stop it. Just 2 days before, I was putting a 20 foot 12" I beam up in a building for a neighbor [8 feet up over an interior wall] Had it happened then the consequences could have been serious. Believe me it happens sooooooooo quick. Al

powermax_paul
Freak accidents will happen. You can use all the common sense available and still it happens. BE CAREFULL ALWAYS! At age thirteen I worked on my Uncle's farm and I found my three year old cousin dead after a fall on some equipment. It was a terrible experience that will never leave my mind for the rest of my life. Paul

bobjack
I had been in the habit of disengaging my mower deck and using my hand to rake grass off the deck and from around the pulleys with the engine still running. My PTO on 7018 and 7119 is coil spring design. If the spring broke, the PTO would self engage. This really opened my eyes to a serious No-No. Thanks for the post!! bobjack