Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Questions on a 243400 series Briggs

MrSteele

I decided on the 10 to put back in my Landlord while I try to find an automobile or tractor with the same or reasonably enough that I might be able to hone to it, bore, so I can get a set of rings for the 16 and put it back together for the next time. I have a question or two for those of you that have taken one apart. The breather tube goes where? It comes off the top of the crankcase breather, and there is a hole in the shroud section for it to pass into the shroud space, but where does it go from there? The hose is not long enough to go to the carb, and there is no opening in the carb, anyway, so it can't go there. The end of the hose that will be under the shroud looks as if it is meant to fit into something, but what? This engine was on the tractor when I got it, but the shroud is from an older engine, a 23, I think. I have no engine numbers at all, but miked the bore to find one that matched, and it is a 243 series bore. What goes on the end of the rubber tube, or does it simply vent into the airway and out the fins? Also, I think I already know the answer, but. The parts manual blowups show the points plunder going in exactly the opposite from what is shown in Zippo's video, and in another recent post by Donmoore. Which is correct? I assume the blow-up is incorrect, and the 'head' of the plunger which is a bit larger diameter than the rest of the plunger goes against the cam. Is that correct?

The breather hose should be a straight line from the valve cover to the carb if it is a 243000 engine(10hp). The previous generation (9hp 23000/23D) had a can-looking unit from under the generator to a hose around inside the shroud. I could be mistaken, but if you have a hose that does not come from the valve cover or a carb without a hose hole in the barrel, it may be more mixed than you think. The points plunger should be on the carb side for the 10hp/9hp engines.

The breather hose on mine stops under the shroud and does not connect to anything? Is that wrong? Here's a pic with the shroud removed...

I found the parts manual for the 243 series engines, The manual shows both the hose from the valve cover to the carburetor, and the one like I have, and the one in the pic above. I was wondering if that is wrong, too. Is the hose supposed to connect to anything other than simply go into the shroud and stop?

I have a allis big ten thats just like that with the can breather, always wondered the same question.

There is sometimes a filter on the end of the hose to keep bugs out but nothing else since the "breather" is an open flow thing, instead of the modern "positive pressure" valve systems employed with the 10hp and newer. The can has a scotchbrite-like element in it to drip the oil back down into the crankcase. So the answer is on that variant, no it does not connect to the carb.

The early 243400 series engines had the early style breather while later models had the later style(carb to cover). Simple as that. Briggs engines evolved just like any others!:D

The filter does not show up on the parts breakdowns at all. I think I'll shove a piece of foam air cleaner in the tube to keep critters out.

quote:
Originally posted by blind_eagle
The breather hose on mine stops under the shroud and does not connect to anything? Is that wrong? Here's a pic with the shroud removed...
[img]/club2/attach/blind_eagle/10hp_1.JPG[/img]

I'm relatively certain that tube should attach to the intake. I believe the purpose of that tube is to prevent a crank case over pressure. It may work fine in that condition and probably does. The service manual if you could find one, would help.