Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What's involved - splitting large frame at the BGB

OrangeMetalGuy

How difficult is it and what is involved in splitting a large-frame at the BGB... I may be getting a shuttle and as I have a spare hydro I might consider swapping rear ends. I really like the control of a hydro. Just how hard is this swap to do?

Alot easier than changing those axle tubes. 1-1/2 to 3 hours. Remove driveshaft, linkages and four bolts that hold the BGB to the frame.

I've never swapped out a shuttle for a hydro, but have done a couple of 3 speeds to hydros. I'd think it would be pretty much the same. In my experience, both side plates are different so they have to be removed. The biggest issue is getting the cone clutch off the left side of the BGB, the drive pulley usually comes off pretty easily. After disconnecting all the control linkages, brake and both BGB pulleys, put a jack stand (or two) under the BGB/frame so that one of the rear wheels is barely touching the floor. Take the right side plate completely off. Then take the left side plate bolts out of the BGB and "walk" the entire rear end with left side plate away from the BGB. If my memory isn't exactly correct, I'm sure someone will correct/clarify the method.

Make sure the frame has the through bushing. I have one frame with the bushing for the shuttle lever, but none for the hydro lever. I have one with a hydro lever bushing but no shuttle lever bushing, and I have one with both. Guess it depends on when the units were made. These are all 7000 series frames.

Good points all. Also, is the 12hp Kohler strong enough to power a Hydro? I ask since the factory didn't offer them that way (I am pretty sure you had to have at least 16HP for a Hydro).

Scott, A 12 horse kohler is more than strong enough for a hydro. I used a 7012 hydro for about 8 years as my full time mower and snow clearning machine. In the summer I used a 42 inch deck to cut the grass and in the winter I used a 42 inch blower to clear the snow. I live in Maine so my snow is usually heavy and wet. The 12 horses were more than enough to move the tractor and throw the snow. Go for it you won't be disappointed. Rick......

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
Good points all. Also, is the 12hp Kohler strong enough to power a Hydro? I ask since the factory didn't offer them that way (I am pretty sure you had to have at least 16HP for a Hydro).
Both of my AC 912 hydros suggest differently. :)

my 312H's seem pretty darn strong... blows deep grass with 48" deck like nobodys business... and I cant go any faster or ill get thrown off the seat

My 716H only has a 10Hp 243431 engine in it. I run a 48 inch mower deck, push snow with a 48 inch blade, run a 36 inch snowblower, and drive my Mckissic chipper/shredder with it. A 12 has two more Hp than my tractor has.

In the 7000/700 series the shuttle and the hydro use the same BGB. The easiest (if you have it) is to change out the whole rear end including the BGB as one unit. Follow RayS directions. A 10hp operates a hydro just fine. I have a 710HH (Hydrostatic/Hydraulic lift) and runs everything acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...
Re: Rod's comments above, if I understand correctly the shuttle control lever and the hydro control lever are different and fit into bushings in different spots in the frame? Is the linkage from a hydro rear able to be connected to a shuttle lever underneath?

• 2 weeks later...
Ok so now I see the difference in the control levers (hydro on the left, shuttle on the right):

I am surprised that Simplicity would actually make two different control levers (since multiple configurations means extra cost). Hard to see in this compressed photo, but the hydro lever is in a bushing almost at the bottom of the frame, the shuttle lever is in a bushing up 2-3 inches higher and the lever is shorter.