Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MowerMechanic

14 Hp briggs issue

MowerMechanic
Hey long time no see guys. So i am haveing a problem with my 6210. We transplanted a 14 hp 2 cyl briggs v-twin flathead into it a few years back and now she is not running so well. Issue: at any kind of high idle it does not run smoothly almost like it misses. Carb is clean as a whistle, new plugs, clean magnito/flywheel, fresh gas, no smoke of anykind and tire pressure is good :) at a low idle it just purr's and sounds beautiful but when you increase throttle the problems begin. it cant even mow the lawn at this point. So what do you guys think? I have never actually had to open one of these v-twins up cause they have all run flawless for me "reason i put this in" A buddy of mine suggested something internal with cam/governor.. what do you guys think? Come on Dave i know you got an answer cause it ain't no tecumpsee.... thanks guys

MowerMechanic
This carb only has one mixture screw. I have not checked compression. but i would think if rings where shot i would have smoke of blowby or something.. I will look into that though. although i heard if both cylinders do not have the same compression it would not corretly

MowerMechanic
ok my compression tester is mia so i did the old finger over the plug hole test. the left cyl has good enough pressure to try and blow my finger off the hole, the right is decent pressure but by no means as strong as the left. If it where a single cylinder i think it would run strong but being a two with such a difference i would think that would make it run odd. single you can play with carb to get best power but one carb is feeding both cylinders so i imagine there is no happy median. ganna pull the head off to see if it is just gasket or torque issue, i dont want to have to pull motor :(

MowerMechanic
ok pulled the head off, all the bottom bolts where full of oil, lots of caked burnt oil on the inside of the head and around the valves..lots.. and a bit wet on the bottom of the cylinder. guess u guys know where im going with this