Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stuck 3 speed - what next?

Vassal

Today, my 727 (990488) got stuck in gear(s) again. This is the second time it has happened and I think the screwdriver trick will fix it again, but I'm getting a little worried about being stranded. This is my only mower so I figure I should considering getting parts together to fix this properly. So I ask what should be my next move? What parts should I be thinking about ordering? Do you know if they are NLA? Any ideas?

Hi, The only thing you would normally need is a new gasket. There are some specs. in the shop manual for the roll pins in the case that stop the shifter finger as it travels between the shift forks. Pulling these out of the case and side cover to the minimum spec usually fixes the problem. I'll post more details later, I'm pressed for time right now. Al Eden

HI Al, I was hoping you would chime in since I found an archived post of yours where you mention adjusting the roll pin guides. I didn't see a specification in the manual I have for this so whenever you get a chance, give me a shout, I'm in no particular hurry. For the gasket, Jack's shows the case gasket #156103 (2156103) for only $4.09. Does that sound right? That seams awful cheap for a trans case gasket of this size.

Make sure you take your time with the shifts and that it's solidly in gear before letting the clutch out.

quote:
Originally posted by Vassal
For the gasket, Jack's shows the case gasket #156103 (2156103) for only $4.09. Does that sound right? That seams awful cheap for a trans case gasket of this size.
I just got a right side case gasket for my vickers hydro rear end... from Jacks ... $4.74

Make sure if you pull rearend apart that you look closely at the hi lo pinion gear.on the 3 rearends that I had problems with in my broadmoor and yeoman I had hi lo pinion gear stripped out in all them.

Thanks for the info guysdOd
quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
Make sure you take your time with the shifts and that it's solidly in gear before letting the clutch out.
I think this is a main cause here, sometimes I start hot doggin :o) and I'm probably preloading the shifter when changes gears too. I'll have to learn to be a little more deliberate with this thing in the future. I see that Jack's shows the hi-lo pinion is available but not the shift forks. Anything else I should be looking at parts-wise? Do the gear shafts usually get beat up when shifted like this? (I almost said "pre-maturely" wear out, then I remembered this thing is as old as I am!!).

I forgot to ask if any related parts can be swapped from the two speed version of this trans (not gears but shift related stuff like forks etc.)?

Buy a couple of parts tractors. I have 3 or 4 of these rear-ends sitting around. (I broke the bracket on my 728 once, and started looking just to get the bracket I needed) Ended up with a few spares!!

Mike, Got your PM. Will try to get the info you need and post it here, as it will be available to all. Sorry I haven't been around much, My wife has been in the hospital 5 times in the last 2 and 1/2 weeks, and I have been going to therapy for the rotator cuff on my shoulder from a fall. Getting old means the Golden Years for the medical profession. Even though, we have to be so thankful for them. Al Eden