Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax clutch coils

DMedal

Has anyone rewound a Powermax clutch coil? The PO must have tossed a defective coil and left me a box with the other front clutch parts, no coil. So I'm thinking maybe I can find a bad one and rewind it. Or is that crazy? I've successfully rewound motors and transformers so think I could tackle it. Don

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
I think if you can do it, you will have people wanting theirs done
Well first I have to find a bad one!

In everyone of these electric PTO's that I have taken apart the epoxy insulation on the coil has been cracked. In some cases part of the epoxy is missing. I'm guessing that the operating temps exceed the limits of the epoxy. I just tried something last fall that seemed to work with good results as a repair. I took all of the loose insulation out of the coil. Don't nick or scratch the wires as this will cause a short. Then I flushed it clean with spray contact cleaner. Next I used Urethane windshield adhesive to recoat the coil. This stuff stays pliable and seems to hold up. None of the insulation can extend above the metal edges of the coil. It lasted through many hours of snow blowing and is now mowing the yard with no problems. :) Your milage may differ though.

thanks to all for the advice. This site is truly the best $10 ever spent and makes it a lot less frustrating to keep my 35 yr old tractors running. Yes, if your problem is only that the epoxy is loose it is by far easier to repot it with modern epoxy (or your choice of potting compound:p). I figure my best shot was to locate a coil that needs more than that. Don

• 4 weeks later...
In 2003 I replaced the clutch on my pow'rmax Simplicity 9020 PTO clutch field was in 2003 $119 from www.J-Thomas.com Warner electric part no. 5208-451-014 rear pto clutch (same field as the front pto) the field is set in the housing and fits without modification. Michael