Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How to get gas to carb

country

I have the MV18 converted to run horizontal and back in my AC 917H tractor. I now can't get the simple things to work. The fuel pump leaked, so I just bypassed it and ran the fuel line direclty to the carb. The fuel level in the tank is well above the level of the carb, but it seems I can't get gas into the carb bowl. Its as if the gas can't push the air out of the line. It will flow through the filter and shut off valve fine without being connected to the carb. I replaced the fuel line on the old KT17 before and never had this problem. I'm going to take the bolw off and make sure the needle valve attached to the float isn't stuck, and see if gas will flow into the carb with the bowl off. Any other suggestions? I

I've tried starting it with the cap loose and just resting on the tank, with full choke, and still no luck. Nothing with the tank or cap has changed. Didn't get a chance to work on it tonight.

I wonder if you need a fuel pump. The engine is a vertical shaft made to run vertical and it's mounted in a horizontal position. Just a thought. jh

the carb should have a vent on it to let air out as gas comes in, sounds like it might be plugged

The 10HP Kohler on a 310 I bought had the fuel pump bypassed, because it leaked. Even though the tank was higher than the carb, it still wouldn't run without the pump.

quote:
Originally posted by country
I have the MV18 converted to run horizontal and back in my AC 917H tractor. I now can't get the simple things to work. The fuel pump leaked, so I just bypassed it and ran the fuel line direclty to the carb. The fuel level in the tank is well above the level of the carb, but it seems I can't get gas into the carb bowl. Its as if the gas can't push the air out of the line. It will flow through the filter and shut off valve fine without being connected to the carb. I replaced the fuel line on the old KT17 before and never had this problem. I'm going to take the bolw off and make sure the needle valve attached to the float isn't stuck, and see if gas will flow into the carb with the bowl off. Any other suggestions? I
Turning the MV18 in it's side will result in insufficient oil flow. The crank case is where the oil is supposed to sit, you will possibly have your pistons half soaked in oil fouls plugs will occur if you manage to get the float to act correctly because it is no longer parallel with earth. I think your not going to be successful with this one, as it is. fuel injection would be required to eliminate the float issue. Also a separate oil pump because even if you manage to get it to go, the designed oil path is defeated. Unless you get a visual on the theory of lubrication on the MV 18 your out on a limb. Since you have not gotten it to go yet hold that thought and get one that is designed for your application. If it sounds to good, to be true, it probably is.