Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

RE: Electric Clutch Coil Rewinding-----------

LesH

Here is some good info from the guys over in the John Deere garden tractor group about rewinding those 12 volt electric clutch PTO coils--- http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/96042/119087.html?1163258214

Thanks, Les - that's a big help, and if the Deere-heads can do it I am more confident I can! LOL I'm wondering why aluminum wire and not copper. Is there an engineering reason (weight?) or just to save money? I can't think of a living electrician I can ask who'd have a good answer to that. (I'm an electrical engineer myself). I am thinking the epoxy potting is a better scheme than the silicone the Deere guy used. As JB has written, the modern epoxies are much better than the 35 yr old types. (and 35 yrs isn't bad for lifetime either). Silicone makes a good potting medium but flex allowing some vibration which would be a problem here. Next step I guess is to find someone with a junk coil. Thanks for the help, I love this site. It makes owning a 35 year old tractor a lot less frustrating. -Don why rewind? new coil = $218

I would use the copper wire (solid, not stranded). I remember the houses with the aluminum wire........ Those electric clutches are expensive. I miss the old belt tighteners via idler pulley....... Good Luck!!!

Les- Yes, after reading the Deere posts I'm more confident copper will work fine. I was concerned there might be some physical reason aluminum was chosen, like mass. Copper conducts better so that means the coil will draw more juice unless I use slightly smaller wire. I'll post again if I get a chance to try this. A member is sending me a defective coil or two I think. -Don If the Deere guys can do will can definately do it, but with more Simplicity.

Most epoxies become brittle with age. Exposure to heat amplifies this problem. That's why I wanted to try something that was formulated to stay somewhat flexible in the presence of heat and could withstand some contamination from oil and dirt. On my present project I'm going back to the idler type clutch. The clutch I repaired using 3M windshield adhesive is now 200 miles away and unless it fails I will not be able to check on it. Take care.

I would think that for most clutches, that amount of time and effort just isn't worth it. I assume the one that the Deere guys started fixing like that is for the mid 1970's 110/112 with the electric PTO clutch. Pretty sure I have heard that clutch sells for either $500 or $700 dollars - I would spend a day messing with one of those I guess. I think the two worst ones for us regarding cost are the Sunstar and the PowerMax tractors, right?

• 3 weeks later...
In 2003 I replaced the clutch on my pow'rmax Simplicity 9020 PTO clutch field was in 2003 $119 from www.J-Thomas.com Warner electric part no. 5208-451-014 rear pto clutch (same field as the front pto) the field is set in the housing and fits without modification. Michael