Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

removing drive shaft

blackfarms1

Hey guys have a u-joint out of the main drive shaft. Do you have to unbolt the engine and slide it forward to do this? What other tricks do you sunstar owners have for this fix? Thanks in advance. Sean.

Sean, The only way that I can think of, is to unbolt the engine. But you will have to unbolt the driveshaft from the flywheel first, then pull the engine, and the u-joint will slide right off(hold the shaft when pulling the u-joint, the shaft will pull out of the pump too). I have done with my Deutz Allis 1920H.

Mine has a command and four bolts and the engine and driveshaft all come out as one. Then you can unbolt the driveshaft from the flywheel. Had a pesky oil leak that taught me how to remove it in about 10 minutes all to often. Finally fixed though.

No trick, just unbolt the engine slide it forward, unbolt the u-joint flange. It will slide off the spline at the pump. You'll need to remove the tunnel cover to more easily guide the spline back onto the pump shaft. Don't forget to check/replace the gasket between the fan and the cooling plenum if necessary.

quote:
Originally posted by blackfarms1
Thanks guys. Is the driveshaft on the ultima 1918 with the magnum kohler the same? thanks
I've had the shaft out of Commands, Magnums, and Vanguards. They have all been the same style. I have never actually put them side by side or compared the part numbers to see if they are the same shaft. I've also never swapped from one engine to the other, (pretty soon though) so I don't know if they will exchange there either. Hope this helps.