Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My 725

jackpot21n

Here is my new 725. It has an 8hp bored .002 over and she burns oil. Do they make a larger bore kit for this? Anyway this thing is awesome. Check it out, it runs on propane. The motor is very powerful and mows a thick lawn without a sweat.

i know our floor buffer at work has a 5horse kawasaki that runs off of propane and it has some kind of "carbuerator, regulator thing on it that always fills up with sludge after a few months....never seen a tractor with one though......SWEET!!!

Agreed that is one cool ride, does it use less fuel with propane? As for the bore, the 8hp cast iron engines only go up to .020 unless you can find a leftover .030 piston on eBay or at a shop.

Thanks for the info on the bore. I guess I'll have to lookk for anouther motor. I have a 10hp that came off a 2310, but I do not want to but that big daddy in there. That "mixer" is a regulator, and that and the propane tant was on the tractor when I got it. As far as gas mileage goes, I have cut the grass 3 times with the less than half tank of propane that came with it and it still felt like there was a lot left. I did fill the tank though because I had a coupon for a free filling that would expire if I didn't use it. I am pretty sure that a single filling will last me the whole summer plus for my 1/2 acre of mowing. As compared to my 616 Yeoman with an gas 8hp, I need a gallon per cutting. I think the propane will be pretty efficient.

Welcome aboard, that is one cool set-up8D8D8D. Propane is cool because it can sit for extended periods and not go fowl, like gasoline. jh

Now that is really different and interesting! Sounds very efficient too but I think a 5 gallon tank of anything would last a while!! It's kind of unusual to have an oil problem like that with the propane since it's a gas not a liquid therefor it doesn't wash down the cylinder wall as gas does. No carbon build up either. Perhaps a broken or stuck ring?

Probly works well as an anti-wheelie device too, lol. Propane was a factory option on a lot of briggs engines at the time.

That is cool as heck, Now you need a grill off the back so you can mow and grill at the same time!:D

Can't say I like the looks of the tank up front but at least there was no hacking on the 725. Not sure how a guy could mount a smaller tank to look good, never seen one on old farm tractors I liked and there was a lot more room. 725's are sweet little tractors, enjoy yours.

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
That is cool as heck, Now you need a grill off the back so you can mow and grill at the same time!:D
Put the grill on the back and then install a swivel seat like on a backhoe:D:D

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
Nothing better than the smell of freshly cut grass and hamburgers cooking on the grill. Throw a couple of buns on the grill and toast them, reach down and grab a handful of fresh cut grass for the lettuce, and enjoy a snack while mowing. :D

Yeah I'm not sure if I like the look of the tank in the front either. I am also worried about running into one of my many trees with the tank up front. It sits just low enough that I do not see it while sitting on the tractor. i was thinking of mounting it behind the seat, high enough to not interfear with a tiller should i ever get one. Maybe I should replace the hood with a grate and a burner for grilling on the run LOL!

Very nice machine....nice conversion too. We used to run a lot of Natural Gas on our fleet here at work...extends engine life exponentially........yours may just need rings...

The .020 rings are still a current part you can order from a Briggs and Stratton dealer.

I wonder how a smaller bottle would fit in place of the original tank(without hacking). Perhaps a pair of smaller ones. Just a thought.