Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oh nooo, Tranny issue

dentwizz

I was mowing today with the 9hp LL and in 3rd gear I went down a steep gradient like always, the trans just let loose to freewheel. Once on flat ground I checked and all gears but 3rd work fine. Fortunately I mow my little yard in 2-R but I was wondering if it was alright to keep running this way for the time being til my Broadmoor can mow? Obviously I am going to be rectifying it soon, but it may be a couple weeks. I surmize that it is a sheared key on the input gear. When I roll it on the ground, in gear it spins all but the input shaft on external inspection. Any thoughts or how tos? I am trying to find all the info I can, since if I am going to be splitting the case the main axle bearing needs to be replaced anyway.

Hi, I suspect that one of the fabricated gears in the transmission had a weld fail. Thes gears are made in pieces and "furnace brazed " together. I have seen these fail before. Al Eden

Josh...I had the same problem w/my B-1. Third gear was non-operational. The comment by Al is exactly what happened to my tranny. In the tranny, there is a fabricated gear assembly (two gears stacked on eachother and brazed together) that when brazed together, the gear acts as one unit. Once the braze fails, the two gears that are normally bonded together , now free spin as two gears. This is the why you lost third gear. I opened my tranny using the procedure in a tech manuel I have, found the bad gear and replaced it from a parts tranny I had. I added new gasket and seals and it's A-ok now. I believe many of the tranny parts are the same through many model years. The gear that I used to fix my B-1 tranny came out of a B-112 from 1968 or 1969. It's a good winter project...many hours to remove tranny from tractor, remove rear axle, and open up the tranny. Remember to buy all the seals for the rear axle and the other shafts that exit the tranny. If you need seal part numbers or the gasket number, let me know. Good luck. Dave A Massachusetts.