Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B&S Twin Problem

JohnMBerst

My 12.5 L head twin just stopped last night. Had just put a bit of gas in the tank, a dash of Mystery oil, and started and idled fine. Let idle a bit, then off to cut. Ran FT for about 5 minutes cutting and died. Tried to restart and turned over, but once or twice would loud pop. Pushed into garage, let cool a bit and turns over fine, but with choke, no choke will not start. Did smell something, not gas, or burnt belt, but something I have never smelled off the tractor before. Has good oil level, new gas, and did not have problem cutting until stopped. Any ideas? Guess that spare twin might have to be put to work. Will try again tonight , but looking for your input. Thanks Coach John 4i

Hi Coach- We can be fairly confident that you didn't run out of gas. So a couple of things come to mind, mostly "do you have spark?" What is this on? could you have hit something and sheared the flywheel key? That will leave you with spark but hopelessly at the wrong time. Did I understand that it turns over reluctantly? even with good charge? Don

This is on my 5212.5 LT. Don't think I hit anything, and will check the spark thing out tonight. Will pull plug and see. Turns over just as always, took air cleaner off, and carb looks clean. Guess more tonight. Thanks Don.

Well after a bit of checking, had gas, oil OK, started fine, ran for about 8 minutes, shut down quick, afterword no spark, bought a new coil, and presto, works again. Guess coils do "wear" out. Once I did have the "hood" open, blow out whatever stuff was on the fins. Really not bad, even next to the breather tube. Back to happy cutting and seat time. ^