Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wiring a briggs with coil and S/G

mike_sdak

Hello. Progressing a bit farther on converting my kt-17 powered 917 to 16 Hp briggs power, but am beginning to think about wiring. The tractor is a 917H with kt-17. The "new" engine is a briggs 326400 series 16 Hp, with Points, Battery Ignition Coil (prev owner mod), and Starter-Generator. PhanDad posted a few wiring diagrams on this post: http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109495&SearchTerms=917 I think the only difference between my situation and his, is that he has magneto ignition, and I have battery ignition. Is it as simple as using the kohler wiring diagram (and kohler ignition switch) and somehow adding in the starter generator and voltage regulator? I am pretty new to this.

How about this? I modified a diagram Al Eden put together for someone on this site. I believe the "B" terminal from the switch should go through the ammeter, breaker, and to the "B" terminal on the S-G Am I correct? I believe the "R" terminal on the Kohler switch won't be used at all. Also, I think the Acc terminal on the switch should just go to the lights and to the accessory terminal block. (I haven't shown that either, for simplicity's sake) Will this work for what I am doing??

It appears to be OK but DO NOT run safety circuit thru igition side as every time you turn on a PTO or want to travel, you break the ciruit to open and stop the engine from running.

You should wire it up without the modifications you show. The "battery" terminal of the S/G feeds current through the Acc terminal on the ignition switch back through the "B" terminal to the battery. The ammeter is then in the circuit and shows the S/G charging the battery. Or it would probably be easier to wire the "battery" terminal of the S/G to the "R" terminal of the ignition switch currently in your tractor. It has the same functionality except it's connected to the battery in both the "run" and "start" key positions. This would keep all the interlock functionality. In the 7100 series with Kohler wiring diagram in the reference post (first diagram), use the yellow wire from the "R" terminal to the S/G "B" terminal. Use the black/white wire that is in the same connector to connect to the "+" of the coil. If you still have the KT17, you can take the double connector from the engine side and use it to connect the wires just like in the diagram (B+ of KT17 rectifier is same as "B" post of S/G). If you don't want to use the "R" terminal, then take the yellow wire out of the ignition switch connector and connect it to one of the terminals on the Accessory terminal board.

Thanks for the ideas. I think it should be fairly straightforward if I do it as PhanDad suggests. Thanks a bunch.