Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
AC_B-1Novice

Got this free with a Gilson 12 pics + questions

AC_B-1Novice
I just picked up a 7012 and don’t know a thing about them. I would like you guys to identify some of the parts on it. I have no idea what they are or what these tractors do but he said it ran and drove and everything worked as it should. Looks rough to me. The gas tank is disconnected right now. He said the guy he got if off of took the deck off and put it to the side and when he told a scrap guy to haul off the scrap he the took the deck also. The guy just bought another mower and never did anything with the 7012 again. I’ll be glad to have you guys tell me what you think looks good or bad on it and if you think I should replace anything or sell it for parts or as is. Couldn’t beat the price. Larry MFG: 1690352 Anyone know what year it might be and what is all the stuff I see on it?
[img]/club2/attach/AC_B-1Novice/2.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/AC_B-1Novice/3.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/AC_B-1Novice/4.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/AC_B-1Novice/5.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/AC_B-1Novice/7.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/AC_B-1Novice/8.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/AC_B-1Novice/9.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/AC_B-1Novice/10.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/AC_B-1Novice/12.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/AC_B-1Novice/13.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/AC_B-1Novice/14.JPG[/img]

PhanDad
The tractor looks a little rough cosmetically, but might be fine mechanically - when you get it running, you'll know. They are great tractors, the K301 is a good engine so I'm told. The tractor has a front mechanical PTO, so it must have had a snowblower mounted at one time. To the best of my knowledge, that's all the front PTO was used for. It also has a cone clutch mid PTO for driving the mower deck and tiller. It's attached to the left shaft of the BGB. Obvious missing items: Lift handle and quadrant on left side near running board Air filter Shroud for hydro to direct air flow over cooling fins (and cover belt/pulley for safety) Seat cushion ;) Hope to hear you have it running soon. And IMO, once you go to a hydro, you won't want to drive anything else.

AC_B-1Novice
Bill...I forgot to mention that a box of parts came with it and I believe a lot of what you mentioned was in there. Thanks for the info. Still not sure how a hydro works on these since I've never had one.

OrangeMetalGuy
The hydro drives a gear that is fitted into the transmission housing and drives the transmission. You will want to put a new filter on it (use a genuine Simplicity filter) and change the fluid (use Dexron trans fluid). As you move the hydro control lever fwd and back, it adjusts the hydro pump's output (meaning the speed and direction of that gear - the one that drives the transmission)

AC_B-1Novice
Other than replaceing the filter and fluid is there anything I should look at or check before starting it and seeing what it will do? I don't want to ruin something. larry

PhanDad
Larry, I wouldn't change the fluids immediately, but I'd check the levels, until after I got it started and see how it works. If it's a keeper, then change the fluids after they are warmed up. Changing warm, circulated fluids gets rid of a lot more junk. And as long as it isn't a windy day with dust/dirt blowing around, I wouldn't worry about seeing if it'll run without the air cleaner on; more convenient for spraying starting fluid/gas into the carb :). Hope to hear that it started and moved for you soon.

AC_B-1Novice
I have it in the barn. I tried to start it and in order to get juice to the starter I had to hook the positive right to the starter. The key was on and I had a spark plug tester on the plug but got no spark. It won't turn over with just the key. It turns over fine. The brake pedal is tied down firm. Is there a lever or a saftey switch that I might be missing? The seat pan is off and the hood also. There is a little rectangular (looks like a switch) on the same side of as the starter that is plugged into two red wires, one coming off what looks like a seloniod and the other runs out of sight. Any ideas as to what I might be missing? The guy was willing to start it when I was there and dummy me didn't bother or I could have seen what he did. The amp meeter is trashed, should I short those wires? larry

RayS
"There is a little rectangular (looks like a switch) on the same side of as the starter that is plugged into two red wires, one coming off what looks like a seloniod and the other runs out of sight." This is more than likely the 20 amp circuit breaker. If you have power to one side of solenoid and not the other more than likely you are having a issue with a safety interlock switch. If these tractors sit outside and get rained on these safety switches tend to get messed up (shorted out).

AC_B-1Novice
Thanks Ray I'll check it out in the morning. If I touch the leads of a test light from one side of the selenoid to the other the light does come on.??? larry

RayS
quote:
Originally posted by AC_B-1Novice
Thanks Ray I'll check it out in the morning. If I touch the leads of a test light from one side of the selenoid to the other the light does come on.??? larry
Ok, Then the safety switches sound like they are working properly.