Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tall-guy2

5216 rearend

tall-guy2
I got a 5216 with 5 speed trans that is hard to shift while moving. does this transaxle have any lubricant in it. I can not find a fill plug on it. Thanks for any information.

JohnMBerst
I have a 5212.5 with 5 speed. No place to add lub, as just has grease inside. If you want a manual, PM me and see if I can send you one. In 24 years have had to have some work done twice to the trans, but I use this tractor all year. Would make sure to add some oil to were the shaft enters the top of the gear box.

Al
Hi, These tractors have a Peeless Transmission in them. John Deere said they could be shifted on the go. Simplicity and Peerless said that that was a no no. It tears up the shift keys. The transmissions are filled with a semi solid bentonite grease. It doesn't reqire seals and tends to draw water out of the air over the years. Jeff is correct and it is great to hear him back. Al Eden

lampoulos
Is this rearend the same as one from a 5116? Mine has been noisy and jerky for the past couple years and I haven't been able to fix it as even taking it apart I couldn't find anything out of spec. I made the problem a lot worse after moving some dirt with it the other day so it should be a lot more obvious now. Just looking to see if anyone else has had the same problem.