Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broadmoor 717 adjustments

dentwizz

I just noticed in the literature that the 717 supposedly had the limited slip system. What I am wondering is can it be adjusted like the larger LL counterpart or is that more trouble than its worth?

So if it is slipping too loosely you have to take the side plate off and torque the nuts and put it back together?

The "limited slip" is just that the planetary diff gears are spring loaded for some pre-load that makes them more resistant to differentiating inside. The hardware could be loose, the springs broken, or just worn parts allowing more clearance and less pre-load. Check out a parts breakdown of the diff - easy to see the springs. Works like the diff in an RBT does. I suppose the springs could be shimmed to tighten things up, but it might lead to premature wear due to the extra tension. Any of the above would require removal and tear down of the trans. Tim

I thought it looked like a RBT setup. Considering every bearing has at least heavy wear, I'll assume the washers are worn off. Since that sounds more involved than I feel like doing at the moment, I'll leave well enough alone. On a side note, I was checking things out today as to why both front tires are scrubbed bald. Someone repaired the tie-rod 3/8" too long! Good lord that must have made a lot of drag cuz now it picked up another 1 mph of speed.