Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

48" deck - center spindle nut keeps backing off

OrangeMetalGuy

This happens about once or twice a mowing season... the center nut backs off, and the drive pulley starts wobbling. I have used Locktite blue, and just did it again (again with Loctite). Should I also take a drift and try to pin the nut to the shaft? There isn't enough thread to install a 2nd locking nut.

Is it a nut? Or a Bolt? I just replaced the center spindle on the 920 48" cut today. I had to use the impact to draw the pullys down where it should be on the splines. My old A/C cuts better than dads NEW Craftsman .:D

It's a new Simplicity nut... it's a nut, tightens down on the spindle. Probably a 1" or 1-1/8".

1" would be a 3/4" stud, that thing could take tremendous amount of torque. Around 320lbs. So I would suggest getting a torque wrench on it and go that route.

Hi, Your pulley and spacer and the lower deck pulley probably will need to be replaced. They are worn on the hub and the edges and the the stack crush can;t be maintained. I bet if you look at the pulleys and the spacer the mating edges are rounded and the pulley is loose on the shaft and where the spacer contacts it is rounded out. Al Eden

• 2 months later...
Al/Simpleton7016, Can either of you help me with the actual nut (subject topic) specifications? I too have had this problem to the point where the nut is long gone and there was damage to the spindle. I am really not in the mood to change the spindle so I am going to try to save it. It looks like there is plenty of good threads left to get a nut on it. I will take the suggestions and replace the stacker shim as it is pretty beat. Part number for the nut? My hopes is to find it as a standard hardware item:I Part number for the stacker? Thank you. KC~Zeeland, MI.

Sirs, I just realized that the coupling (actual term unknown) just below the center pulley was beaten into two pieces only being held together by the pulley and the supporting bolts. Even as cheap as I am, I am not confident that this will last very long. Can anyone help with the Simplicity part number? Can this item still be purchased? Deck # 1690021 Thanks again.

It happens on a 42" deck as well. I do not know the part # of the nut, but I got a new one when I replaced the center spindle. The nut is a locking type, but not with a nylon insert, as there are not enough threads for the nylon type

Hi, Call us at 1-800-462-2218 9-5 CDT and we can get you what you need. Most of the time you are way ahead of the game to replace what is bad and be done with the ensuing headaches. Often if the shaft key or threads are bad, and you replace the hub it will chew up the new hub. You cannot have ANY slack in any of the keys or any clearance in the bore of the hub and the deck belt pulley. Any play will cause the nut to work loose and just wear the stuff more. Fix it right once and use it. Al Eden