Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
country

Dumbest engine assembly mistep I've made to date

country
Well, I have the Kohler MV18 converted to run horizontal, and have it completely installed back into the tractor. I haven't been able to get it to start. I didn't think it was getting gas to the carb, but I confirmed it was today. I started thinking other things, and put my hand over the muffler. It's blowing out exhaust. One of the times I have the air filter turning it over, vapor was coming back out of the carb, and I could smell gas. After thinking it over and trying to figure out why it was pushing out of the carb instead of in, and after talking to my Father-in-Law, it was obviously a timing issue. Gee, can anyone guess what I forgot to do when I put the engine back together? This has to be the stupidest thing I've forgotten during an engine assembly, and probably one of the easiest things to forget. The bad part is I was referencing the manual when I reassembled it.

country
I believe #1 is a closest to a winner. I forget to look at the timing marks at all! That means I now have to pull it back out of th tractor, remove all the shrouds, split the case again, clean off the gasket, realign with the timing marks, and reassemble. The only good news is that it should all go faster the second time.