Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dadsy98

Mower deck and blades

Dadsy98
The mower deck that came with my 312 has no markings, decals, or any other identification. It's either a 42" or a 48". (just a silly 6" ) is the deck size determined by overall width or by distance between blade tips? The blades are very, very well used. raw measurement yields 15". they have a 7/8" center hole. The bolt for each blade is 7/16" and has a spacer with a shoulder to acommodate the 7/8" hole in the blade. I think I could use just about any blade with a 1/2" to 3/4" hole using a bushing as required. Any thoughts?

Tuffy
The size of the mower deck refers to the width of cut. With 15" blades you no doubt have a 42" cut and thus a 42" deck. Regarding bushings, I don't see why with the proper bushing a blade as you describe should work fine. Steve

Dadsy98
Thanks Tuffy I kinda figured it was the width of the cut. I measured the distance between the arbor centers and found it to be 15 9/16" . From arbor center to deck baffle is 8". So, just thinking, the new blade length might be 15 5/16" Did I mention those old blades were really worn down?...

Sandy_Lake_Imp
New blades are available from Simplicity. We stock them, sorry- don't recall $. Bill from home