Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

You have to pay atention when bidding on ebay

lampoulos

Ok guys. I just lost on a 6516 on ebay because I was off on vacation and wasn't near a computer. Just a little frustrated right now. Hopefully it was one of you and not some guy that's going to ruin it. That's the only things that's going to make this loss any easier.

lampoulos, Try using www.phantombidder.com It will solve your away from the computer issue. John U

I snipe all the time on ebay but its not going to get the item unless its the high bid.When I can't be near the computer at the end of an auction I just put in what my high bid is and let it ride.The trick is not to let your high bid be influenced by what others are bidding.

I have mixed feelings about ebay... I have got several tractors thru ebay, but they usually are not very close to what was described. When I have sold stuff I make sure that I list all the good and the bad about them... life is too short to have people mad at you for a couple hundred bucks... Maybe set an alarm if the tractor is really important to you. I typically try to figure out what the thing is really worth to me and bid that. If the tractor or part goes higher, so be it. At least I think they over-paid for it. my saddest ebay deal got me a near perfect plow for my sunstars... the guy had a lot of really perfect stuff available at great prices ... I just could not afford it...

quote:
Originally posted by acfarmer
I snipe all the time on ebay but its not going to get the item unless its the high bid.When I can't be near the computer at the end of an auction I just put in what my high bid is and let it ride.The trick is not to let your high bid be influenced by what others are bidding.
I do ebay the same way. What is my top dollar, that is my snipe value plus a $1.02. If i win it's plesent surprise if i lose it went for more than I was willing to pay, so it's no more of a loss as window shopping would have been.

I usually wait till the last minute or 2 to drop in a bid. If I bid early ( 1st day or so) seems like the price just goes up more and more.I have better luck geting the item for my price, if I wait till the end to drop the bid at my max limit. Only problem I have is CRS. Usually forget about the auction. Case in point, I was watching Perrys side panel a week or so ago, went outside the evening it ended , and of course walked in 10 minutes too late to bid.XX(

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
I usually wait till the last minute or 2 to drop in a bid. If I bid early ( 1st day or so) seems like the price just goes up more and more.I have better luck geting the item for my price, if I wait till the end to drop the bid at my max limit. Only problem I have is CRS. Usually forget about the auction. Case in point, I was watching Perrys side panel a week or so ago, went outside the evening it ended , and of course walked in 10 minutes too late to bid.XX(
I recon your method has saved you a bunch of money. But you have won some frustration. With the bid on the sly you will get an email message you WON or you lost and so you won't have to RS.8)

I'm curious now. What happens if two people (or more) snipe on the same item? using the same snipe site? Seems like there would be a risk of your bid being missed. Otherwise sounds like the best is to snipe at your top bid. I also have lost an item because my "early" bid tempted someone else to raise theirs. I do try real hard to stick to my top bid. GovLiquidation uses a system I like better. Any winning bid delays the end of auction for 15 minutes. No need to rush. Not quite as nice for the seller perhaps as ebay-mania but it is more like a conventional auction.

I like ebay better if you don't know what your top $$$ is by the end of the auction 15 minutes ain't gonna help.I also like auctioneers in regular auctions that 'push' the bidding knock out items quickly so bidders have to stay alert and keep bidding or loose out.

I would rather see an extra 5 minutes added to the end of the auction each time the sniper gets in there within the last few seconds. Hate me or love me$