Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dadsy98

AC steering box

Dadsy98
Hi again ! refering to message #2576, has anyone experienced the joy of removing and rebuilding a steering box? Mine is on a 312 and though it steers very smooth it has around 8" to 10" of play at the wheel.

Mack
You can adjust the steering without removeing the steering box.On right hand side of control pedistal near the bottom is a hole.Turn steering wheel until you can see adjusting stud.Loosen stop nut where stud goes into steering box.then use screwdriver to tighten stud into gearbox,retighten stop nut. Gearbox removal is not to bad of a job.Remove steering wheel and clamp,raise tractor unhook steering link and remove three bolts.Pull gearbox out from bottom.If bearings or races need replaced they are still available.I don't have the part #s right now (books in the barn) but can give them later if needed. Mack

Dadsy98
Thanks Mack for that info on the steering box. I checked it today and found the screw and the lock nut was loose. Tightening the screw was easy . The lock nut was a devil. Very close quarters to work in. Steering is much better now

dymondclay
Hey there, I have the same question with an HB212 AC. Does it have a similar adjustment for the steering. I don't remember seeing anything in my manual. Thanks, Clayton