Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Starter generator system not charging right

SmilinSam
I did a search on this subject and read what I found on the topic, as well as the topic in the Briggs repair manual, but have questions. First off here is the voodoo going on. Amp gauge shows no charge or discharge with lights off, and running at speed. With lights on gauge shows discharge. Meter at battery with lights off shows 13 to 14 volts, not steady but usually not varying more than .75 volts one way or the other. With lights on at battery, meter shows 12.6 to 12.9 volts With meter at either the Battery tab, or Gen tab on the regulator , both with lights on and off the reading on the meter is all over the place. The numbers move so much its hard to read at all. I did note that the readings reach a high of 16-17 volts intermittently. Sometimes it will do this at the battery too for short periods when first setting the meter up. This is the second regulator (used) I have put on the tractor. Both showed same scenario. My battery is showing 11.6 volts. Last time after driving around for about 10 minutes battery showed 11.63 volts. Does not appear to be gaining a charge, nor losing it. All that I read shows grounding the field terminal for a test. My question is , Is this the terminal on the regulator that is being discussed? And.. is that with the wire to the stud on the generator removed? Its been ten years ago since I had to deal with a faulty stater generator system, and I just dont remember that far back. My "quality plumbing products" dont have problems like I am experiencing.;)

Roy
Sam, Ground the "F" terminal on the S/G to test generator output. Isn't necessary to unhook any wires. Do not leave it grounded long as grounding the field takes the generator to full output. Suggest checking all connections including those to/from the ammeter. Also make sure the battery negative terminal, generator and regulator are securely grounded to the tractor engine and frame. Cleaning the contact points inside the regulator may also help. Good luck,