Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler tuning help (Still no better)

GWGAllisfan

I have a 7112 that has been repowered with a mid 90's K341. The new engine was from some type of stationary use, or at least it had a fixed throttle linkage. I've adapted to the variable throttle in the tractor and have it all set up and running, but I have been experiencing an odd problem. As I have been mowing with it, several times the engine would seem to lose power, drop RPM, run rough, and take several seconds to catch back up. It was even doing this at walking pace. It seems more common for this to happen when climbing a hill or making hard right turn, both of which are very common in my yard and those I often mow. It also chokes down more than I think it should when the deck is first engaged, then recovers. I've checked the fuel mixture screws on the Walbro adjustable jet carb, and they are at factory settings. I've also gone in 1/8 turn increments up to a 1/4 turn each way and no change. Top RPM is about 3100 with deck engaged, by my dash mounted tiny tach. Fuel pump is nearly new and will squirt fuel at cranking speed. I cleaned out the carb bowl in case water had accumulated in the bottom. Other trouble shooting included: Refilling gas tank when symptoms showed, results were inconclusive. Pull out choke when problem starts, definitely makes it worse. Checked points. though rusty on levers, points were clean and set right. Looking for opinions, and suggestions.

Dirty Carb?? Dirty Air filter? I had a similar problem on a K321 14 Hp recently, with a Walbro Fixed-jet carb. Doing a disassembly, partial carb cleaning, and running Sea Foam with the gas for a tank or so did the trick. I have also noticed lack of power with a restricted air filter on this unit (foam pre-filter was covered with dandelion seeds). Also, with respect to the fuel pump, it may not even be necessary, if the gas tank is high enough above the carb bowl. If it is high enough, you can bypass the fuel pump to see if that helps. Another thought may be a governor problem....

First of all, clean and re-gap the points. After that readjust the carb. Adjust idle, adjust main, readjust idle, then readjust main so that it will not hesitate when moved from idle to WOT.

Hi, I would check the governor linkage set up first. I did a post in the past on how to do it. If you can't find it, say so and I'll redo it. Next I would set the stop to give you a top governed speed of 3550 to 3600. I think this would turn your pet into a real animal again. Al Eden

Al I tried unsuccessfully to find your post on the governor linkage setup... I have the Kohler service manual and followed that protocol... but on one of mine its still a little loosey goosey... not sure how to proceed and dont want to screw it up!! If you find the post I too would be interested.

Chris, I assume this is the one Al is referring to - [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_redirect.asp?LinkID=148&linkname=Adjusting+the+Governor&catid=23&cattitle=All&area=&refID=[/url]

Ran it again yesterday evening. I had checked points, re-set carb and reset throttle to give around 3500rpm with mower on and tractor moving. Fuel tank was full to overflowing. From the beginning it would sputter and cough and miss, losing 4-500rpm in the process. Given time the rpm would come back up until the next bump or sharp turn, then it would start all over. The mystery is it wouldn’t do it every time. Sometime it was so sensitive it would spit when the hydro was pushed forward or back too fast. One time I was able to do it just by shaking the tractor, then the next time I tried that it didn’t have the effect. Any more ideas? Float level maybe? I did notice the governor arm had the spring on e hole lower than on all my other engines, would this make it less sensitive?

Have you downloaded the K-series service manual? It covers governor sensitivity settings. Also, the float setting is 11/64" gap per the service manual. It might not hurt to disassemble and clean the carb, and check the float gap. Just a thought,

Hi. I have had similar problems with K301 engines, check for play in the throttle shaft, and the end of the shaft where the governor rod hooks on to make sure it isn't loose on the shaft.