Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grease Zerks

gocart879

Hi guys, I have a 728 Broadmoor, and i am attempting to lubricate the rear pivot point where the chassis can tilt with the land. However, when i find the pivot point, i see a hole where a grease zerk might fit, but it(and the threads that would hold it in) are not present. I am almost certain there was never a grease zerk there. I see two screws that hold the pivot point in place(square heads,and threaded) but again no grease zerk. I see the manual pointing in the exact space, but is there a time period where zerks were not included in the pivot point, or has anyone seen what im talking about. Thanks Mike

my 728 has one, Kenny is probably right, it is probably a drive in zerk. Glad to see another small frame guy! dOd

ok well i looked at it again, bought some grease zerks and tried to screw them in, i get nothing. as there are no threads present to hold the grease zerk in. what is a drive in one, and where would i buy it?

I've seen a couple of holes like this on my early B-10 on the brake pedal shaft housing I think it is just for oil to get into

You really do want to grease that pivot shaft. You can separate the tractor at this pivot pretty easily. Then just drill and tap that hold and put in a threaded zerk fitting, making sure that the threads do not intrude into the tube. Tom

The tube Tom refers to where you would tap threads isn't very thick. The grease fitting must NOT protrude through the wall of the tube or else you might knock the zerk off when you are putting the tractor back together. It is also very easy to tap your thread too deep and then the fitting will be loose and the grease will leak out instead of lubing the shaft. Here is what I did with mine. I drilled a deep hole down the bar stock. I then drilled some cross holes to allow the grease to get to the inside of the tube. I carefully threaded the end of the bar to accomodate a grease fitting. It is a good idea to clean everything while you have the tractor separated.

does anyone have a pic i could see to enlighten me on the whole thing, because i have a small idea on how it should be but i want to be sure. I am speaking of drilling the holes and threading the end of the shaft thanks again everyone

Sorry Mike, I have no pictures. I drilled the long hole the same size as the tap drill size for the pipe thread. I think it was a 1/8" NPT. The cross holes were smaller. The fit between the tube and the shaft is very close, so you will be able to pump grease in until the holes are filled, then there is some pressure felt the the grease is starting to ooze down the length of the shaft. I just worked the pivot back and forth a few times to spread around the grease.

Threaded grease fittings can be either 1/16 or 1/8 pipe thread, 1/4-28 straight thread, or a press-in style. Be sure of what your fitting is before drilling and tapping. Tim has it right...drill the size you need for the pipe tap down far enough to reach where you will drill the cross holes. The cross holes need only be about 1/8 inch dia. to work. Some guys also use a hand grinder and grind small grooves into the shaft for the grease to follow to be sure it goes to both ends of the bushing. If you do that, be sure you don't grind past where the end of the bushing is or else you will lose grease there and also let in dirt. Both of my 616 yeomans have the fitting as installed at the factory. I grease them at least twice a year, spring and fall, along with slipping off the rear tires and rims and greasing the axle shafts. Saves alot of misery down the road. Good luck! Steve

Well I took a drive in grease fitting and hammered it into the hole, I pumped grease into it, and it worked great, the pivot is looser than it was so i take it that the thing got exactly what it needed. I am set, at some point the old fitting probably just vibrated out of this hole i am speaking of.

I used the drive-in fitting DEC-2008 on my Yeoman. I believe the P/N was #2830676. SEPW parts had them @ $1.36. So far it is holding quite well.

Didn't know there were drive in zerks. Make sense as the clutch shaft on my 7016 needs one. One the subject of grease fittings, there are screw in grease caps. Essentially a flat zerk, without the nipple. Found on a '88 Mustang. I can't fathom the cost savings.

DeltaBravo, If you are talking about flat plugs that are in the places where there should be grease fittings, I believe that they shipped them from the factory with the plugs and the dealers were supposed to change them over to zerks at the first service. I had a '77 Granada that I bought new that had the plugs. The dealer I bought it from told me no grease required. I ended up replacing almost the entire front end because of it. Why did they do that? I don't know, but I never went back to that dealer either. Steve