Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7012 solenoid - now it runs but poorly

AC_B-1Novice

I can’t seem to get my 7012 to turn over using the ignition switch. There is power to the ammeter, both sides of the solenoid and it will crank if I go right to the starter with the positive but no spark. How many and where are the so called safety switches on a 7012? I want to bypass them and see if one of them is the problem. I have all the levers in the position they are supposed to be in as far as I can tell and the brake pedal is tied firmly down. Thanks larry

There is one on the PTO and under the seat, here may be one in the neutral position of the shifter. jh

I had this problem, turned out to be a bad 4" long piece of wire. Take a copy of the wiring diagram and check each and every connection from point to point with a multimeter. As you check them, cross them off the diagram. Keep going until you find the bad spot. Don't assume anything.

One under the battery on the side for the hydros, and the one on the cone clutch, if you have a front clutch there is one on it, by the leever

i had this problem also....i hate to say it but it turned out that the hydro lever wasn't in nuetral....i am such an idiot sometimes!!!!lol:D

I had a similar problem recently. The solenoid was not passing enough power to turn the starter. I first thought it was the battery till I shorted across the solenoid and the starter spun very fast. Replaced the solenoid and do not have a problem anymore. The safety switches are in the circuit between the ignition and the solenoid. If a safety switch is open, the solenoid will not even click, and will not be powered.

Also make sure their plugged in. Almost tore a tractor apart because of no start and it turned out that plug was not fully in contact with switch, DOH!!!!.

I have located 3 switches. Front pto, rear pto and trans lever. Cut the wires and fastened them direct for I couldn't get them off the switch. Still get nothing with the key. I'll try shorting the solenoid. I'm not good with a mutimeter because I don't know what should have juice with just the key and what should have it when turned to the start position. Trying to make sense of the wiring diagrams tonight. Thanks to all for the help so far, I'm sure going to need it. larry

Check the circuit breaker in the ampmeter circuit. One red wire from ampmeter to batt. terminal on Voltage regulator/or to key switch, the other red wire from ampmeter to circuit breaker, red wire from circuit breaker to batt. side of solenoid. To test jumper the circuit breaker. If bad replace the circuit breaker or put fuse in circuit as ampmeter circuit is a fire hazard with out being fused.

Well this morning I did the quick test that Rod suggested and jumped across the solenoid and low and behold it turned right over. Now due to my being a novice with these things I have this question. Does this mean that the solenoid is bad or could it mean something else such as bad wires or bad connections or anything else that I can't think of? Get me past this and I might be on the way to getting this thing started. larry

I forgot to ask. If I need a solenoid will one off another model tractor work or where can I get one? larry

I would still check the circuit breaker, that is what supplies the current to the solenoid to activate it from the switch. By jumping across the solenoid you have basically done the same thing as putting battery power directly to the starter bypassing the switch, ampmeter, circuit breaker and solenoid. Dirty connections can cause the problem. If you have cleaned all connections and have good cables from the Batt and checked the circuit breaker then the solenoid is bad. A good one from another tractor should work. Any good auto parts store should have one.

I just replaced the circuit breaker on my large frame. I knew it was bad when I removed it and connected the two red wires that go through the circuit breaker together and everything worked. A new breaker at NAPA was $5.

Here is a pic of what I have and what I think I might need. I have this.

Here is the site with the solenoid. http://tewarehouse.com/7-01855 larry

That blue wire on the solenoid is for your safety switches. The other end of that blue wire is usually purple and goes to a terminal on the key switch. I run a jumper wire from that terminal to the blue wire on solenoid. If it starts there is a problem with one of the switches. I know you said that you cut them and wired them together but you may still have a continuity problem (bad wire)in that circuit that is causing it to not start. Once I run that jumper wire from solenoid to key switch terminal I don`t hook back up the safety switches. Not telling you to do the same but I would try the jumper wire and sell if that is the problem. That will tell you if the solenoid is the problem as well. As rusty as the terminals appear in your picture you may need to clean up the terminal.

The picture was taken before I worked on the terminals, however I will try all things suggested. larry

Since I had already jumped the wiring I decided the easiest (but not more likely) thing to do was to take the solenoid off the engine this time and reclean all bolts,nuts and washers and more thoroughly wire brush the battery cable connections to the solenoid as Maynard suggested in his post as well as where it mounts to the engine. Low and behold it started but it won't run except at idle unless I choke it about half way or better. I put a filter on it could that have anything to do with it? It is a little red in-line filter. Can someone tell me the adjustment of the screws on the carb as a starting point? There is a top and a side screw. I'll need the adjustments for both. larry

Primary settings for both are usually 1-1/2 turns out from closed. That might take a little more if it has been sitting for a while. Once it is running you can hone in on it better.

The 1/12 turns should get you going on the carb. If you still cannot throttle up you might try eliminating the filter altogether.

Thanks Thanks Thanks to all who have helped me. I'll be using new posts now so if anyone wishes to connect with me on this one please pm me. Thanks again...larry sm01