Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Light switch(es)?

MrSteele

I am finally getting around to doing a bit of cosmetic work on my 65 Landlord, as I wait for parts to get here for the engine I am rebuilding to put in it. On the dash are two switches, that I assume are for front and rear lights. Neither works. Did the switches pull out to turn the lights on, or did they twist? Both buttons will twist in their sockets, but do not appear to click or make any kind of contact inside. Also, is there a source that anyone knows about for the plastic lenses for the front lights. I need one, but will buy more than one if they are available.

on the early landlords there was a toggle switch mounted right in the light bucket. on the others there should be a knock-out plate for the dash mounted toggle switch on the upper right corner of the dash. the headlights take a 4" glass light bulb. look here - [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/front_light_kit.htm[/url]

Mine are cut into the grill, not mounted on a light bar. There are already two switches in the dash that do nothing. I can't pull them out, but they will spin in the receiver, but the spinning seems to make no contact, anyway.

OK, I just ran a search for a picture of a 1965 Landlord showing the light kit available as an option. They look as they do in your pic and reply. But, the manual on the site of a 1964 shows a Landlord with no lights at all. Is mine possibly a 1964 with a light kit option? I'll grab a camera and attempt to post a pic. Right now, the grill is apart for repaint and repair, but the section with the lights installed is back together

that is not original. somebody cut the grill to add those lights and drilled the dash for the switches. this is the light kit for your tractor.
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/mower1_ops/figure1_small1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1964/landlord_pg1_small.jpg[/img]

No wonder I am having a problem finding parts. Well, the in grill lights make more sense where I use it the most, as the outboard lights would get killed often in the woods, I am afraid. I'll muddle through and make these work, maybe when I go back to work, I can get some new grill material and do them right. Thanks

I just found out what the lights are. They were/are backup lights for a 1966 or 67 GTO. I have a set of classic lights in a classic lawnmower!

As far as non-standard installs, I must say the GTO lights actually don't look that bad. Those switches almost resemble dash-mounted circuit breakers like aircraft. If they have a number printed on the nubs than they might be(that would be the rating). I have a front and rear toggle on mine in that location(but next to eachother). When I put them on it just seemed more ergonomic than the upper corner.

Since the light setup is not OEM don't worry about the funtion of the switchs, just replace them with something that is functional.