Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

differential on 725

ka9bxg

Friend is looking to upgrade the differential on his 725.He has broken the pins in the differential a few times and would like to fix it so it does not break again.What will it take to put a newer style in it. Thanks for any help.Bob

Be careful about that. The pins were calculated to break before the keyways inside the transmission. I would not upgrade the diff without changing the trans to the matching year. It is easier to switch pins than it is to open the case. 73-Kh2sx ;)

You need the newer axle shaft that goes with the newer style differential. The differential is longer. RodH has done this swap and I believe that Roy has as well.

As Ray was saying, you will need the entire axle with left hub that goes through the tranny, then the entire diff assembly and the right hub. It all bolts right in. I have one in my 61 Wards which is essentially a Simplicity 700. There is no problem with using the newer unit in an older tranny. I used this one for tractor pulling for around 20 years with no problems. All my problems occurred with the old setup before I switched to the newer type.

"I believe that Roy has as well." Thanks for the credit Ray although I have not done this particular conversion. I have welded the LH hub to the axle on my B-1 and put a custom made LH hub that Rod made on one of my tractors. Also put double roll pins in the RH hub of the B-1 years ago. Still works fine.

Would like to have someone with one of each compare the hubs with the gear that that the differential slides over. Brenda didn't include that in the one I bought for my 64 landlord, or the axle, believing I didn't need them. I installed the new style differential and been using it with my one bottom plow pretty hard all spring, so far so good, and the left, landside firestone seldom slips. I like it well.