Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Finkbeinerpulling

725 wont throttle up

Finkbeinerpulling
hi, i just bought a very nice 725 for $150 off craigslist. it hadnt run in about 10 years from what i was told so i got it home and polished the points, dumped gas in it and it fired right up. the only problem is whenever you try to throttle it up or the governor opens it up it acts like the ignition cuts out, ive tried different plugs and cleaned the carb out twice. points are good. does anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance for any help

John_RI
The Club has several sponsors that could supply the item. One is Jack's Small Engines: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=25&CatTitle= The part # of the condenser is 291369 Good luck!

Finkbeinerpulling
Thanks for that John, i have now found that if i close up the spark plug gap about 5 thousanths. it runs all day, im gonna check the armature gap next. ill probably put points and a condensor in it anyway for good measure.

jdwilson
Tony, that was how the 8hp briggs on my 728 was acting. I would say "It don't have the power to pull the hair out of your head". After checking everything else, I found that it was the tappet clearance; or I should say ZERO tappet clearance! After filing off the ends of the valves, for the proper gap per briggs manual, and then hand lapping them with valve ginding compound, I then had to file off a bit more for spec. I swear that It feels like I installed a turbo! It seems like a 12hp or larger. I hope that this helps you.

Finkbeinerpulling
i have tried electronic ignition now instead of a $50 set of points. this has resulted in no difference so im positive it IS the coil. once the engine gets warm the spark gets so weak that it wont even start. the new coil should be here next week. the valves are something that we wondered about but havent checked yet.

Finkbeinerpulling
just an update-the new coil fixed it. while the engine was out we pulled the head and im happy to report the engine is like new on the inside. bore has virtually no wear ring and the valves are like new. looks like i did pretty good for 150 bucks