Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7012 running now but growls from below???

AC_B-1Novice

Thanks to all you folks I have the 7012 running. The PO had the side screw on the carb run out about 3 full turns. 1 1/2 each made the difference. However: When it runs it really growls from somewhere in the area where the deck would go. I'm almost afraid to crawl under there and look while it is running. Also afraid to run it too long. Could the drive shaft need greased somewhere? It has sat for a long time and the whole tractor has a lot of rust on the pulleys etc. Where would you grease, oil or check if you had this problem? That will get me started in the right direction for now. larry Does anyone know where I can get a manual (operators and parts) for this engine?
[img]/club2/attach/AC_B-1Novice/4.JPG[/img]

Engine manuals can be had for free at www.kohlerplus.com Login as a guest. As for the driveshaft its not greaseable. I would be concerned about the bevel gear box.

I tried the kohlerplus site... it locks my computer up or at least takes a looooonnnnngggg time to load..... The owners and service manuals are also available here and you dont need to log in... http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/serieslanding.htm?series=K-Series

The growl could be the BGB or less likely the hydro pump. Does the BGB have play in it? Hold the driveshaft still and see how much you can move the output shaft. It shouldn't turn very much. Also look at the input shaft of the BGB. IMO, this is the weakest part of the box. The needle bearing is prone to failure (low lube level, dirty lube, etc), and if not fixed quickly, the case can be destroyed by a wobbling input shaft. And it'll run for a long time while slowly grinding away the case. If you want to see if the noise is coming from the BGB or hydro, remove the belt from the BGB to the hydro pump and start the engine. If the noise is gone, it's the hydro pump. If the noise is still present it's the BGB. Great site that Chris recommended for the Kohler manuals - but it doesn't give a link to the parts manual for the engine. I have an electronic copy - if you want a copy, send me your email addie and I'll email it to you (it's big, over 6 meg so you can't PM it).

What is the deal with the BGBs in these models? I recently acquired a 7016 and did some searches on it, and it seems as though a lot of posts have to do with bgbs going bad on the 7000 series in particular. Do you have a deck on this tractor? If not, make sure the pto isn't engaged or the clutch on the pto isn't stuck.

No Deck, and the PTO turns when I pull the lever backward. I listened under the tractor today but I can't tell where that noise is coming from. I'll try to get some time on it tomorrow and jack up the back and engage the hydro to see if it works. larry

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity314
What is the deal with the BGBs in these models? I recently acquired a 7016 and did some searches on it, and it seems as though a lot of posts have to do with bgbs going bad on the 7000 series in particular. Do you have a deck on this tractor? If not, make sure the pto isn't engaged or the clutch on the pto isn't stuck.
The deal is people don`t check the oil then they run low and ruin bearings, gears and shafts. The older BGB`s with the 3/4" shaft diameters seem worse to me. I haven`t ever bought one that didn`t need a input shaft in it.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity314
The deal is people don`t check the oil then they run low and ruin bearings, gears and shafts. The older BGB`s with the 3/4" shaft diameters seem worse to me. I haven`t ever bought one that didn`t need a input shaft in it.
Really? It seems to be the opposite to me--seems like I read about more issues with the 7000 than with my 64 LL. Even when I had my 3212 I don't think I read a post about a bad bgb in those either. But then again, those are only 3 specific models that I did searches on. I did come across a lot of posts about leaking early model BGBs, but that's from normal wear. ACB1--another thought: If you have a rear lift cable make sure the drive shaft disc isn't rubbing up against it. Don't know if that would be that loud though.