Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stuck Pulley

lampoulos

I'm currently performing a re-power on my 6212.5, going from the stock 12.5hp to an 18hp from an old (but good running) Murray. It's a drop in swap as I've already got it running in the tractor, but I can't get the old drive pulley off the original motor without ruining it. Would anyone be willing to share some tips with me on removing it unscathed? The motor is currently straddling a pair of saw horses.

Puller, heat, or penetrating oil. Usually the come off, sometimes there is nothing to do but [img]/club2//attach/UCD/censored1.gif[/img] it...

With a puller attached with moderate tension applied, try a little heat directly on the pulley while also tapping on the end of the shaft witha ball pein hammer. All this is after a good soaking with a good penetrant. :)

If the pulley is steel you can really heat it if it's cast iron CAUTION. If you can get bars behind the pulley supporting it with the engine hanging down and the shaft straight up then use impact on the shaft end. You could also get 1 or more people to hold the pulley and tap the shaft. Patience! Penatrating oil can take day's or longer and every time you heat it you lose that.